Cheap 200 lumen mod

kz1000s1

Enlightened
The brightest 2AA industrial flashlight on the planet!
Ok, I confess, it doesn't have AA's in anymore. This is an Energizer industrial converted to use three CR123 batteries, and the best part is this--A Surefire P91 200 lumen lamp assembly. I've been making some of these lights with an overdriven 5 cell Krypton bulb and selling them to co-workers and decided to take it to another level. Actually, the p91s' hotspot isn't that much brighter than the Krypton bulb. However, the total light output just blows you away.

If anyone is interested in buying the Krypton bulb version, I'll be posting an ad in the B/S/T section when my battery shipment arrives from Surefire.

Energizer_200lm_01.jpg

Last edited:

kz1000s1

Enlightened
Thanks

So far heat has not been a problem, however I have also not run it for more than about 20 seconds at a time. I'm sure the plastic lens would melt with extended running. A glass lens may replace it. I just built it today, so it hasn't been tested very much. You can hold your hand two feet in front of it and feel the heat in the beam! For two months the Krypton bulb version has been tested with no problems, though it doesn't put out as much heat.

Tree

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice mod. This sounds interesting. Would you mind giving more details? Is this a PR bulb? Would the EverLED fit? Is the mod to install 3 123's easy? Is it a heavy light? I'm guessing if a P91 fits then a P90 would fit also, was installing the Surefire bulb assy hard?

I'm wanting to do this myself can you tell. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm wondering how long will the switch take the current of 2.3 amps before something melts somewhere....

kz1000s1

Enlightened
I made two versions. One uses the original reflector with a Radio Shack KPR112 Krypton PR-based bulb which creates a beam that is slightly tighter and brighter than a Surefire D3 with a P90. Though the beam quality isn't as good as the P90, it is quite usable. #2 uses the Surefire P91 lamp assembly, the output of which should be the same as from a Surefire light with that lamp.

Only one change to the Energizer light is required to fit the P91. The metal ground strip that goes forward from the switch to the bulb holder needs to be folded back on itself so that it just reachs it's attaching rivet. The bend shold be slightly forward of the half way point of the strip. This will contact the ground spring of the P91, but shouldn't go back far enough to touch the battery. Remove the original reflector (it just pulls out of the bezel), insert the P91 into the body and check that the ground strip you bent contacts only the outer ground spring on the lamp and not the reflector or the top battery when it is inserted. Screw on the bezel and the lens will retain the lamp. The diameter of the LA is slightly smaller than the original, but it's barely noticable.

On both versions, to fit the 3 CR123 batteries, you need to trim the plastic ribs that center the cells to accomodate the CR123's larger diameter. The total length is the same, so the tailcap spring works good as is.

This light weighs 3.5oz w/batteries. Very light for something this powerful.

The P90 should work, though I haven't tried it.

The only problem so far with the P91 version is the lens appears to be distorting even when used in short bursts. Not surprising when you can feel the heat in the beam two feet away. A quality glass lens is recommended. The plastic body and bezel have not been affected. The Krypton bulb version hasn't had this problem.

kz1000s1

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Nerd said:
I'm wondering how long will the switch take the current of 2.3 amps before something melts somewhere....

[/ QUOTE ]

So far, so good. It hasn't gotten warm, no melting or distortion, and operates just as smoothly. This is a good quality industrial light, and IMHO stands a good chance of surviving. If it doesn't, I'll let everyone know.

With the overdriven Krypton bulb, the switch is still fine after two months of testing.

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Just thought I'd try and see if one of your pics could be posted here:

Energizer_200lm_01.jpg

Oops, guess not -- it did show up for a while though...

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do like these light too - been using them with L91 lithiums and Nexstar Xenon bulbs as emergency lights in the cars - nice oragne peel reflectors too - but given those are the bi-pin type bulbs I wonder about high-voltage Krypton replacements for it ???

Klaus

B@rt

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
MR Bulk said:
Just thought I'd try and see if one of your pics could be posted here:

fc746a27.jpg

Oops, guess not -- it did show up for a while though...

[/ QUOTE ]

I cheated... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rifter

Enlightened
i have melted that exact light with a P61, im sure a P91 would fry it in no time. I melted the head and lens BTW, took under 10 min, im not sure how long cause i left came back in 10 min to the smeall of melting plastic.

kz1000s1

Enlightened
MR Bulk: Thanks for trying to get the photo up. Photo links to Geocities Websites don't seem to work. I'll have to do something else.

Klaus: Is it the Rayovac Industrial light that you have? They use a bi-pin bulb with a nice reflector. I don't know if there is a high voltage bi-pin bulb that would fit, which is why I chose the Energizer which uses a PR bulb. Also, I don't know if you could enlarge the Rayovac's battery compartment enough for the 123's. I have a Minimag with a Krypton bulb and the L91's worked great in it. I'll have to try them in a Rayovac.

Thanks Bart for the cheat!

Rifter: I have no doubt that this light would melt down in no time. It was just made for fun, and I don't have it on for more than 20 seconds at a time. I love the look on the faces of guys at work when I turn on my cheap little light.

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
kz - you are right - I talked about the Rayovac - the pic confused me - looks quite similar.

Klaus

kz1000s1

Enlightened
MELTED!!!

I took the P91 mod to work today and when I took it out of my knapsack the lens was melted. Apparently the switch was bumped on by another light. The batteries had 5 to 10 minutes left on them. It bulged out 1/4", but nothing else was damaged, not even the bezel. One glass lens, coming up!

kz1000s1

Enlightened
I haven't had a chance to get a glass lens yet, so I made one out of a thicker plastic and it's working good. Still no other problems.

I'm selling another one of these minus the LA and batteries here:
For sale

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
if you can't find one the right size, go to www.flashlightlens.com . chris can do custom sizes too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

and he's a great guy! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

kz1000s1

Enlightened
Tree:
Thanks for telling me about the bad link. Forgot to test that one. If I have time tommorow I'll put up a reference photo with some other lights.

Here are some measurements:
Minimag- length 5 3/4", lens diameter 15/16" weight 3.8oz.
Energizer- 6" 1 3/8" 3.8oz.

That's were I was going get a lens from, just haven't gotten around to it yet. Thanks