Decisions - budget Cree Q bin?

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know, it's yet another "which of these Deal Extreme lights should I get" threads. At the prices they charge, I probably may as well buy one of each and give away the ones that aren't any good.

I'm searching their inventory for something with a Cree Q2 (or better) and a price in the low $20 range. It needs to take an 18650 li-ion cell. I think I'd rather have a simple direct drive (resistor only) light, instead of one with a LDO circuit. I have no need to ever run 2xCR123A cells, and I think the direct drive is going to get the highest output and still give useful runtime on an 18650.

I've found these three for $23. They all claim to have glass windows and OP aluminum reflectors. Can anyone offer any comments on these models? If I can end up with one that tail stands fairly well, that would be a plus. I'd rather have less throw and a smoother beam than more throw.

3W Cree Q2 LED Flashlight (18650)
K2U 3W Cree Q2 LED Flashlight (18650)
WF-400 3W Cree Q2 LED Flashlight (18650)

Last edited:

bspofford

Enlightened
They are all very similar and are nice for the money. I have them all and prefer the WF400 because the build quality is the most consistent. It is my favorite budget 18650 light.

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really like my TR-C2, very nice light for the price.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.7463

I also did a runtime test on this light, it ran 2 and a half hours on high on a Ultrafire 18650 (It's either a 2200mAh or 2400mAh) it dimmed some, and I figured 2 and a half hours was long enough and I didn't want to trip the protection circuit.

Last edited: