My first hotwire

sylathnie

Enlightened
At least I think it's a hotwire. Let me know after you read...

I recently jumped into the flashlight arena. I've been lurking around here for a few months. I was given a Fenix P3D R100 for Christmas and now I can't get enough. I built my first ROP modded mag over the last month and it was a blast. It almost sets paper on fire.... almost. My custom cutting board made battery carrier wasn't the best fit and in a recent attempt to remove it I busted my second bulb. I was gonna order a few more but then I thought hey... why not just upgrade.

Here is my plan for my next light. The goal is to build a light the throws as much as possible within the Mag shell, its fun to light up things that you can barely see. I didn't spend much on the ROP (I didn't know how much fun I was going to have.) so I'm going to spend a little more on this. Please comment and point out anything wrong in my plan, like I said, I'm a newb at this.

Body: Quad bored 3D mag by Jesus Hernandez
Reflector: Smooth camless reflector from FiveMega
Socket: Hight temp bi-pin socket from Kiu
Lens: Borofloat from someone... haven't picked a specific
Bulb A: Osram 64623 from Bulb connection
Bulb B: Osram 64633 also from Bulb connection
Power: 15.6V pack from LuxLuthor
Charger: RC900 smart charger from Battery Junction

Eventual upgrades:
FM 2.5 Throwmaster assembly.

I think thats it. Please everyone give me your .02

It will help pay for the light!

Jenova

Enlightened
Welcome to CPF

You have pretty much done all the working out that is needed
The bulb is good :)
Then lens is ok, Boro is strong BUT UCL allows more light to pass through

Some resistance Fix's would be nice and also a softstart device such as jimmy's one

DM51

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF!

You have done some good research, and I'm sure others will help you turn this one into reality. The 623 is a tremendous bulb. You may want to think about some heat insulation, and maybe consider a MOP reflector to cut down on artifacts unless you don't mind them.

Good luck with it - keep us posted.

sylathnie

Enlightened
Well most of the parts are ordered. I went with the UCL lens and a MOP per others suggestions. (I already have a Kaidomain smooth lens to play with if I want to). I will update once everything is in and I get started.

I guess the next skill I will need to learn is beamshots.

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kudos on doing good research. You've put together a list of parts that most of us would use, and have used, for our own builds. The resistance mods should be next on the list. And the Soft Starter might be a good idea at 15.6v. Since you're going with the 15.6v pack though one of the resistance mods will be done for you which envolves the tailspring. You dont need to do that mod since your pack will be making direct contact with the endcap. Do not forget to remove the annodization from the bottom of the cap for connection and the flatter you can keep it the better for better contact.

Take Care and welcome to CPF. Say goodbye to your bank account :)

Shane