Has NovaTac 120P fixed the pulsing issue?

magic_elf

Banned
Hi guys, wondering if any of you guys who have bought the NovaTac 120P recently could shed some light on this issue.

I read that the early runs of the 120P has this "random pulsing" problem, and that NovaTac support had now stated that it is "normal".
I for one, don't buy that reasoning.

The LiteFlux lights seem to be able to do the same ramping of brightness without having this issue of "random pulsing".

I sure hope to hear some positive news regarding this, as I find the 120P the perfect EDC light due to its programmability and use of push button. The only thing keeping me from purchasing one is this "random pulsing" :(

thermal guy

Flashaholic
As far as i know some are still having problems with there new 120s.I love mine but yes it does flicker at the lowest 2 levels.I have hds and novatac lights and from now on Henry is getting all my money

AWGD8

Newly Enlightened
I don`t think average user really use a .08 lumen light.

I have a 120p brand new and I could hardly see the use of

.08 lumen. Is it a usable lumen to work with ? It seems

like most flicker issue is at that lumen range. So I don`t

think it`s a big issue.

120P Novatac is the best light I ever bought so far.

`Had a FENIX p3d REBEL 100 and P2d Q2 , ORB RAW

120L , SF G3 , SF G2Z , SF G2 , WOLF EYES defender.

The best is 120P! :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Steve L

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought one from the first batch from Lighthound(highly recommended) that flickered on the lowest setting(.08 lumens). They exchanged it. No problems at all with the newer one. I recently picked up a 17670 tube, and new SS bezel it's like getting a whole new light. It's really a great light.

magic_elf

Banned
Thanks for the helpful replies guys.

I sometimes use this low mode, currently I use the minimum level of the Photon Freedom to do stuff like checking theatre seats.

So, would you guys say its generally safe to buy the 120P now without having to worry about the flickering? I heard that NovaTac warranty does not cover this as they don't consider it an issue.

Also, is there any place that still has the 120P at $150?
I think its really unfair that they just decided to put a premium on the P-series now when they have been selling for $150 before.

Steve L

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know if you get it from Lighthound and if it flickers you can return or exchange it. The hound has it for 169 with free shipping(priority mail). You also get a 2% discount using the code CPF. FYI- The 85P is on sale(clearance) for 99.

Last edited:

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
All I know is that I have had a Novatac since they came out and I don't have any operational issues.
Mine works fine.
Thermal guy... I assume that you are assuming that Henry will get a product to market some time within the next 6 months. As you must know HDS doesn't announce anything until ready (their stated policy. clearly not a policy they adhere to)
HDS seems to be plagued by production scheduling issues.
Lets hope they are able to overcome these issues in the near future.
Yaesumofo

Hi guys, wondering if any of you guys who have bought the NovaTac 120P recently could shed some light on this issue.

I read that the early runs of the 120P has this "random pulsing" problem, and that NovaTac support had now stated that it is "normal".
I for one, don't buy that reasoning.

The Niteflux lights seem to be able to do the same ramping of brightness without having this issue of "random pulsing".

I sure hope to hear some positive news regarding this, as I find the 120P the perfect EDC light due to its programmability and use of push button. The only thing keeping me from purchasing one is this "random pulsing" :(

magic_elf

Banned
Is the NovaTac's warranty a lifetime unconditional one like SureFire's?
I think it woud be unfair to have a dealer sort of a manufacturer's, it doesn't seem right.
But that's just me..

LA OZ

Enlightened
I believe the flickering is more pronounced when the battery is running low and the Novatac lumen steadily drop. It has problem firing up at its last leg, but when I placed the same rundown battery to the P2D, it continued to run.

Valpo Hawkeye

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe the flickering is more pronounced when the battery is running low and the Novatac lumen steadily drop. It has problem firing up at its last leg, but when I placed the same rundown battery to the P2D, it continued to run.

I have not found this to be the case. Mine flickers(ed) on any battery voltage. However, as I mentioned in other threads, if I adjust the levels just right, I have no flickering. Once I got it right, I went to option 9 and eliminated the programming menu.

As for .08 lumens, I'm an average user, and I find that level of light perfect for getting my stuff together early in the morning without disturbing my wife. However, since my NovaTac isn't on my good side right now, mostly because of the company's behavior, I use my A2 with Y/G for this purpose, as well.

AWGD8

Newly Enlightened
Funny but when I had my P3D Rebel 100 light. It constantly flicker when the battery is about to die.

magic_elf

Banned
I believe that is a feature of the Fenix digital series right, all of them do that when batteries are low.
But the 120P pulsing problem is when it ramps down, even on fresh batteries. Nothing to do with low battery.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
OK i believe in giving credit where credit is due.That being said i have a 120p and after sending it back for repair it works well except at the 2 lowest settings.IMO people who by these types of lights do not do so because of the max output but because is is so versatile.I need all my settings to work and that is what i payed for but to here that "well we know about the problem and there is no way to fix it" is just not right.I do know that hds has had a spotty past but also believe that they would have NEVER let this problem get to there customer.I use my 120p every day and like it but I'm not sure i have complete faith in it.

precisionworks

Flashaholic
Got my 120P last week, S/N 13045. Flickers only at .08, so I set it to .12 ... that's one setting above minimum, it works perfectly, and I cannot tell the difference.

From everything I've read on CPF, Flashlight Forums, EDC Reviews, etc., it seems that about 50% of the 120Ps pulsate at the lowest setting.

The other 50% of us never use that setting
signs003.gif

dinocol

Newly Enlightened
iv got a novatac recently sn 14115 and it flickers maybe 5% of the time. most often after a battery detect reset or after installing a new battery. i just try to ramp it up and down a few times and the flicker seems to go away til the next battery change. im using soshine 3.0v rcr123a.. with the duracell primary it doesnt seem to flicker at all.. im still waiting for the AW's.. hope it doesnt flicker much.. :)

I really like the lowest mode. It might seem useless when the lights are on but using it when its totally dark is great! its more than enough light to see around. I didnt realize that the low of my p2d was still very bright compared to this.. ;)

Last edited:

magic_elf

Banned
So does the NovaTac lights come in different colors, or are these just different photograghy related color balance?
I didn't see anything regarding colors on the NovaTac site.

MONT120E-O.jpg

40ea_1.JPG

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Different colors no but the anodize on there lights is all over the place.The first one i got was gray the replacement they sent me was great much like that of hds and the third one was so gray in color it almost looked white

scottaw

Enlightened
My nova will flicker about once every 2-3 weeks, and again, only on .08. It's not even that noticeable, and ususlly a turn off, wait a sec, turn on stops it.

I find the .08 perfect for moving around the house without disturbing people. Absolutely useless outside or with ambient light, but i use it a lot. And i cans ee it replacing my red lights when i camp, b/c i think it won't blow my night vision like my P2D.

turbodog

Flashaholic
A lot of the flickering went away after I got some serious runtime through the led. Get some li-ion cells and run it through 30-40 complete wide-open discharges.

It's a known fact that the led Vf changes with age.