Surefire E2L (45 lumens) v/s Fenix T1 Q5 (at 60 lumens)

Rustam Bana

Newly Enlightened
I used to have a Surefire E2O running on MN02 and MN03 lamps and was very pleased with the 60 lumen output of the MN03. Unfortunately, the lamps needed replacing every quarter or thereabouts and I found this expensive.

For this reason I switched to LED (Streamlight ProPolymer 3C) and am happy with this flashlight but sometimes I need to carry it in a coat pocket and find it a little too big for this as it tends to fall out when fishing or working outdoors.

I bought a Fenix T1 Q5 yesterday, primarily for it's extended runtime at 60 lumens but find the quality and output of light disappointing when compared to the earlier MN03 lamp for general outdoor use.

I would like something that is brighter at say 50 yards (more is welcome) and don't mind using a flashlight that has more of a spot than flood. Hence, I would like to know if the Surefire E2L (45 lumens) has a more concentrated beam compared to the Fenix T1 Q5.

A little more throw and brightness with a long regulated runtime is what I am after.

Thanks.

Rustam

Last edited:

Rustam Bana

Newly Enlightened
You do know the T1 has a high mode, good for MUCH more than 50 yds, right?

Yes, I am aware of the high mode but the runtime isn't adequate enough considering the cost of CR123A cells over here.

Could someone compare the two beams as requested?

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Look in the review section, there's thread by ernsanada with beamshot of T1 low and E2L side by side.

Marduke

Flashaholic
Yes, I am aware of the high mode but the runtime isn't adequate enough considering the cost of CR123A cells over here.

Buy them online for about $1 each (versus $5 each if bought locally in the US), or use rechargeables. You would be hard pressed to find a light which is more efficient at 60 lumens on 2xCR123's.

If you invest about $20 in a charger and 4 cells, you'll have paid for the initial investment on the second charge, and it will keep you powered with guilt free lumens for about two years.

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do not know about the new e2l 2 level, but I just bought (3 weeks ago) an e2l cree. I also have a T1. I believe (at least the origional version) of the e2l will fit your neens perfectly. (and I have been off the surefire coolaid for some time now).

The E2l cree's beam had a brighter spot than the T1 on medium....just not as much spill. Again, for what you are looking for....I believe it is the right light. Just my .02

Ryanrpm

Enlightened
Buy them online for about $1 each (versus $5 each if bought locally in the US), or use rechargeables. You would be hard pressed to find a light which is more efficient at 60 lumens on 2xCR123's.

If you invest about $20 in a charger and 4 cells, you'll have paid for the initial investment on the second charge, and it will keep you powered with guilt free lumens for about two years.

I recommend you grab this deal from Battery Junction...and use the 5% off code: CPF2008.

http://batteryjunction.com/2rc375reliba.html - $15.95.