Dealextreme 4-mode cree doesn't throw more than 40 feet!

gyani

Newly Enlightened
I got this module for my Surefire g2 and I thought it would throw atleast a good 100 feet. I am using 3.7 v rechargeable batteries and at full charge. When I went outside it was very dark and I put it on the highest setting and I was so dissapointed. I think the p60 lamp threw further than this. The farthest the light with this drop-in goes is maybe 40 feet, then it just diminishes. Did I get a defective product?

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Is the module on high mode(I know this sounds stupid)? Which drop-in is it? Are you using 1 or 2 batteries?

How far it throws will depend on the reflector.

It might be because the driver is in direct drive if you are using 1 battery.

saeckereier

Newly Enlightened
Can anyone tell me how long there p4 cree throws?
Well, give us some time here to answer, and some more details please, you won't always get an asnwer within the hour, bumping a thread (posting a reply to ones own post) should really only be done after a considerable amount of time.

In response to your question, the easiest way to determine it's brightness would be if you had a luxmeter. Be aware that those CREE modules surely are nice in terms of reliability and shock resistance, but they're not necessarily a lot brighter. Plus I guess you have a unit with an orange-peel reflector, which means you get more sidespill than actual throw. Try shining at your ceiling with it and compare the overall light of your room to the incan. The cree should be brighter in this test. I suppose it isn't designed for throw anyway. If you are looking for a LED thrower, the WF-600 might be a good choice. (as are several other lights)

EDIT: Just noticed your post you wrote while I wrote mine. Are you using TWO 3.7 V batteries?
Maximum voltage not established by Ultrafire yet. But in DX tests we found that it runs stably at 6V. It will run at higher voltage but we do not know if it is designed for that. Will update this description as soon as Ultrafire publishes an official spec.
As you see that might fry your emitter and is not recommended, full brightness should be achieved with 2 CR123As and even one 18650 rechargeable should give you a result close to maximum. And yes, it is an orange-peel reflector, so it shouldn't be a thrower.. Plus I have a similar one mode module which is not exactly the brightest one, so I guess your findings may be accurate

Last edited:

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast
DX pretty much uses the same or almost the same reflector for all of the P60 drop-ins they sell. I've got a few of them myself (single mode versions) in my various 2 x 123 flashlights and they have pretty good throw. I'm able to stand on my porch and hit deep into my neighbor's driveway across the street, so I know that's more than 40 feet.

gyani

Newly Enlightened
Do you guys think I should contact dealextreme?Or is this the best the drop-in is gonna be?

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you guys think I should contact dealextreme?Or is this the best the drop-in is gonna be?

Maybe you've got a bad one...but since it's Chinese New Years, those guys are on a 10-day break...you probably won't get anything to happen until after. Considering the part only costs around $10, it's probably worth tinkering around with yourself if you don't want to wait...maybe you can swap out the emitter with a Q5.

I think the other 5-mode one they got maybe better:
https://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.8807

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Keep in mind that incans are better throwers practically. You might have damaged it from running over spec, i would open a support ticket now, they might just send you a new one for free, might. Open it now so it will be at the top of thier lists when they get back. Deal has never asked me to send anything back so far...so...:shrug: if they do ask you, then just get another one. One thing to note, write the sku AND the full product name in body of the ticket, dx is notorious for sending wrong items...but they do reaplace the right item at no extra cost when you contact them, so you sould be fine barring waiting time.

Crenshaw

saeckereier

Newly Enlightened
One more idea, please measure the current drawn from the batteries, this might give us an indication how hard the emitter is being driven. Do you already posess other CREEs (so that you have a basis for comparison)? I personally have never had a P60 torch, so I can't really compare those two.

Another thing, it may be that the torch is good and your expectations weren't. A lot of perception comes into the game here. Another thing you might want to try would be taking a picture and comapring it with other pictures here (of course with the same aperture and shutter speed)

gyani

Newly Enlightened
Well, before this I had an ultrafire cree one cr123 cell flashlight and that thing was tiny, and it was far better than this one( throw wise, and indoors).

Marduke

Flashaholic
If you're using two RCR123's, you probably fried the circuitry. Might want to read the directions prior to feeding a new light. :poof:

gyani

Newly Enlightened
I sent dx a support ticket claim thing so we'll see what happens....