Italian members - customs office question

Daniel_sk

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a question for members from Italy. My friend is working in Italy (helping out, earning some cash as a student). His family from Slovakia wants to send him a notebook. I heared that the Italian customs are rather "slow". I know that he is not going to pay any customs duty, but will the Italian customs office still check the package even if it's from a EU country? Because this would cause a delay and more problems...

Usually, packages sent within EU are not checked at the customs office - but I think I read somewhere that Italy has some special import/export laws and he is affraid that it might get delayed by the customs office?

Thank you.

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it's sent by normal tracked mail the most likely outcome is that he'll have to wait a long time, but it'll eventually go through without having any customs charges slapped on it.
If it's sent via courier or other form of fast mail it'll get to him much sooner, but it's much more likely it'll be checked and taxed at customs.

I'm not aware of any special laws, BTW.

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's no customs among EU countries, all goods circulate freely.

Normal mail is awfully slow in this country so I suggest that your friend uses a courier service and this will include tracking. I usually get packages from Germany in 48 hours by DHL.

Jay R

Flashlight Enthusiast
And make sure that you have good insurance for it. Italian postal and courier services are well known for 'losing' far above the average.