Inexpensive 'Tactical style' A or AA

trucarp

Newly Enlightened
Howdy illuminati:

Please spec me a A or AA powered, small (<5" length) BRIGHT light with a tail clicky. For my 11 year old son. Could even sacrifice overall quality for brightness, 'cause it might get lost within a year or two.

Thanks Guys!

PS My older son got a Proton Pro for his B-Day and loves the strobes. Hope he doesn't lose it!!

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
For an 11 yo who will possibly lose or break the light in short order you might consider a C3 with the tube extension for 2 AAs. It is bright, and cheap from Deal Extreme and he can use it 1 or 2 AA mode. It fits your criteria pretty well I would think.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
illuminati

Omg, that is such a cool name for a flashaholic, and makes so much more literal sense then it did with the actual illuminati...we have seen the light..literally, not metaphorically

oh and i have experience with the DX Uf c3, so +1

Crenshaw

swxb12

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another vote for the Romisen RC-G2. $10 shipped on DX. But don't let the price fool you. The finish is as nice as a Fenix. Threading is fine. Everything comes apart easily too. The single stage forward-clicky has nice response as well.

kilgor

Enlightened
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/187891

$23 multilevel Rebel 100 that lasts 35+ hours on low. It's very bright on high and if you want strobes it has 4 different strobe levels, plus SOS, plus 5 second beacon. If you don't want to use the stobes, they can be hidden as well (see thread).

Or the Romisen RC-G2 for $11 which lasts about an hour on it's 1 level.

Both are great choices depending on what you want. :twothumbs

bspofford

Enlightened
DX has one in green camo. My 10 and 12 year-olds seem more interested in the camo than the other functions of their lights.

meuge

Enlightened
Another vote for the Romisen RC-G2. $10 shipped on DX. But don't let the price fool you. The finish is as nice as a Fenix. Threading is fine. Everything comes apart easily too. The single stage forward-clicky has nice response as well.

Well, it's not really up to Fenix build quality, but it IS a nice light. It's relatively bright to begin with, and it can be made 2-3X brighter with 30 minutes of work and $10 in parts.

The form factor is great, and the positive clickie is nice.

swxb12

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, it's not really up to Fenix build quality, but it IS a nice light. It's relatively bright to begin with, and it can be made 2-3X brighter with 30 minutes of work and $10 in parts.

The form factor is great, and the positive clickie is nice.

I was actually referring to the anodizing. Have yet to mod the emitter, but it is extremely tempting!

DavidC

Newly Enlightened

What parts would you use to brighten it up?