What LED

decoy4000

Newly Enlightened
Hi All,

I am new to these forums, and very happy to find such a community online!
Since I was a boy I was fascinated by flashlights.
My current flashlight is a 4DCELL Maglight with the standard LED bulb. Then I had a 2AA Cell pen flashlight also Maglight with the LED conversion, and the tactical push button.

The problems comes in when the batteries start leaking, I had my 4DCELL replaced by Maglight and the same happened to the smaller one.

So enough playing with hacks.

What will be a good tactical LED flashlight be, I would like it to be bright but still preserve battery power for long use.
I had a look at the Novatac?

Thanks

thermal guy

Flashaholic
:welcome: It can be very confusing when you start down the road here at cpf. The first advise i would give you is to try a search at the top of the page and hit cpf only. You will be able to get a lot of you questions answered faster like that.

My current flashlight is a 4DCELL Maglight with the standard LED bulb.​

soon you will be saying "my current flashlights are..."

From my observations on this site I think some of the most popular EDC (every day carry) lights are....

1. Novatac 120p or 85p

2. Surefire L1 (newest model)

3. Fenix P3d

4. P1D-ce and Fenix LoD are popular tiny powerfull lights.

Some things to consider when deciding what you want are...

1. Type of battery used

2. Size of light ( keep a ruler with inches and mm by your computer :))

3. What type of User Interface (ui) light uses.
a. does it remember last light setting
b. can you program custom light levels
c. foward clicky or reverse clicky(search "forward/reverse clicky")
d. how low will light go? really low settings for house navigating at 3am

I hope this helps some.:hairpull:

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
BassClefJeff (cool name) brings up some very important questions. The more we know about how you are going to use a light and what you want it to do, the more we can help.

decoy4000

Newly Enlightened
Wow great response BassClefJeff84...

And I was concerned about the "my collection of flashlights are...."
But as all things, you gotta try it all to find the best.

I do not use my flashlights often, mostly it would be the :
house navigating at 3am
Then I would use it to go get the post at night, walks on the beach.
And now and again to find something or to work on the inside of a computer etc...

I was not even aware of programable flashlights! Will also read on the Clicky thing... Thanks for all the FAST responses!

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
And now and again to find something or to work on the inside of a computer etc...

From that response alone I can say that the Novatac line of lights might be what you're looking for. One model is programmable so you can find the right amount of light for going to the beach, working on computers, etc. The downside is their price, however, so it's good to be certain about the light before purchase.

Wow great response BassClefJeff84...

And I was concerned about the "my collection of flashlights are...."
But as all things, you gotta try it all to find the best.

I was not even aware of programable flashlights! Will also read on the Clicky thing... Thanks for all the FAST responses!

When you think about it, an EDC does not really have to be the same light you navigate with when you wake up to go #1. But, if your EDC happens to have a really low low-mode, then might as well use it. For me, I am not too concerned with preserving my darkness adapted eyes (night vison) because I am just going back to sleep anyways, but, a really low low-mode like a cell phones light output will not disturb others at night. Check out the novatac 120p. I say 120p because it has an even lower low than the 120t model.

decoy4000

Newly Enlightened
I think I will go with the Novatac, who would be the best to buy from? I am from Melbourne Australia?
Probably shipping it will be my best bet...

Let me try it, I can always pass it on to my better half as a "#1" torch (as so eloquently stated by BassClefJeff84).... :twothumbs

Scratch that... by looking at reviews on the 120P I found a review on CPF and it was compared to the Fenix P2D... very well priced and 15 Lumens brighter... am I missing something?

Last edited:

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since your current light is a relatively sizeable 4D Mag, I would not hesitate to point you in the direction of either the RaidFire Spear w/ OP, or the DBS V2 w/ OP, both of which are some of the brightest lights in their class.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix L2D Q5 - for now
... when used to actual technique, try to find a better one (better for Your needs) and this will be very hard, guaranteed.
imho, if someone does want 2 AA, there is no match.

If one wants CR123, then there is the Fenix P3D (which is a match for any other light again).
But, to be honest, if 2 CR123 is the size of the light, a one 18650 cell light is way better again ;)

I think I will go with the Novatac, who would be the best to buy from? I am from Melbourne Australia?
Probably shipping it will be my best bet...

Let me try it, I can always pass it on to my better half as a "#1" torch (as so eloquently stated by BassClefJeff84).... :twothumbs

Scratch that... by looking at reviews on the 120P I found a review on CPF and it was compared to the Fenix P2D... very well priced and 15 Lumens brighter... am I missing something?

The fenix is way more affordable, and also very well made. Keep in mind it is made in china and the Novatac is made here in the USA. Maybe you could find a fenix dealer closer to or even in Australia.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I'd suggest starting with the Fenix L2D-CE Q5, 8% off coupon form Fenix Store is "CPF8", they also include shipping(international) so what you see is what you pay.

Then to replace the 4D, I'd recommend the Dereelight DBS.

Or if you want to go even lower priced, I'd recommend looking at Dealextreme in the Cree/Seoul/Rebel section(lights with current gen LEDs) for lights getting good reviews.

Also look at the Welcome Mat. It would clarify and inform you of many things that you have questions or might be wondering about.

:welcome: