Just got my SF L1 Cree...there's love in the air

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow. I was so anticipating this light. From my readings and the specs, it seemed a great compliment to my trusty L4. However, now that I've had it and used it for a few days, I find that it is a light that, for me, is neither this nor that. I'm thinking that another L4 with a McE2s would be even more useful.

Pros
- great SF build quality
- nice size, perfect fit for my smallish hands
- great runtime on low
- smooth twisty action, nice two-stage switch

Cons
- price, of course, it's a SureFire
- ringy beam
- very tight hotspot, not very useful at the arms-length distance typical for my use
- no clickie (yeah, I knew this going in)
- the larger diameter switch actually makes the lighter, shorter light more uncomfortable to mouth grip

All in all, I'm already looking to modify it with an F04 Beamshaper to make the light even more useful. I also ordered some 3V R123's so I can keep it fed. Even at only $1 a pop primaries, it adds up.

C'est la vie. Live and learn. I'll probably hang onto this for a while and if it doesn't find a place...probably let it go cheap.

The only question is, "what now?"

Wilkey

Last edited:

gunga

Flashaholic
Re: Just got my SF L1 Cree...not feeling the love

Do what I did. Sell it on B/S/T.

It's a nice light but I agree with what you said. BTW, the beam shaper is excellent, giving the light total flood. Great for shorter distance tasks. If you want an "in between" general purpose beam, you won't get it.

Spot or flood, take your pick.

I think it's an excellent light, but like you, it's not for me.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well, the items you listed as cons are why CPF member Milkyspit has such a huge following of folks who have had their L1s converted to ML1s. He can replace the optic with a reflector with various degrees of OP or stipple to give you exactly the kind of beam you want, plus he could bore your light out to accept 3.7 volt protected RCR123 cells at the same time.

If you haven't seen it, here is the thread listing some of the options he offers:
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=175864

From what I've read, this mod seems to work wonders and can turn an already nice light into a near 'perfect' EDC.

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast

I say sell it or Milky it, but that's just me. Perhaps it will grow on you with use.

gunga

Flashaholic

Those are pretty cool mods. Derek, do you know about how much a reflector and RCR123 mod would cost on an L1?

I'm just curious...

I guess it would make sense to change the driver too tho right since the stock L1 may overdrive with RCR123s

scottaw

Enlightened

To make the new ML-1, from the CREE L1, i've heard it's around $100, it makes it around 160 lumens, focusable, and can be bored for rcr's (prob extra though) And i can say firsthand his work is excellent.

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast

To make the new ML-1, from the CREE L1, i've heard it's around $100, it makes it around 160 lumens, focusable, and can be bored for rcr's (prob extra though) And i can say firsthand his work is excellent.

How is it focusable? I haven't read about any of the Cree L1's being modded yet. Can you ajust the hotspot and spill?:thinking:

This is interesting, as I don't not like my Cree L1, but my old-school L1 modded with a Seoul and reflector gets used 90% more.

I don't want to sell it yet, but a mod with higher output and focusable.... might make me hold on to it. Otherwise I'll probably end up selling it.

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast

Wowsers. The Milky options sounds fantastic. I had heard about his mods but now I think I should speak with him about a potential mod.

Thanks for the comments and ideas, gentlemen.

Wilkey

McGizmo

Flashaholic

Hi Wilkey,

I am waiting on some special contact PCB's I ordered but after I get them, I would like to send you a Mule head to evaluate if you are game. I would be interested in your take on it. If you are interested, e-mail me your mailing address. I am probably a month away from having it to send you.

Your comment about arms length distance prompted this response.

Valpo Hawkeye

Flashlight Enthusiast

Cons
- price, of course, it's a SureFire
- ringy beam
- very tight hotspot, not very useful at the arms-length distance typical for my use
- no clickie (yeah, I knew this going in)
- the larger diameter switch actually makes the lighter, shorter light more uncomfortable to mouth grip

I'm not trying to be a troll, but given that you're a regular with 4k+ posts, shouldn't you have known all of that going in? As for the "mouth grip", I've found that removing the lanyard ring makes this light easier to mouth grip than any e-series light.

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hi Wilkey,

I am waiting on some special contact PCB's I ordered but after I get them, I would like to send you a Mule head to evaluate if you are game. I would be interested in your take on it. If you are interested, e-mail me your mailing address. I am probably a month away from having it to send you.

Your comment about arms length distance prompted this response.
Hi Don,
Thanks for your kind offer. I will send you an email. I don't know how typical my usage is among flashaholics in general but it is easily 95%+ of mine.

I'm not trying to be a troll, but given that you're a regular with 4k+ posts, shouldn't you have known all of that going in? As for the "mouth grip", I've found that removing the lanyard ring makes this light easier to mouth grip than any e-series light.
Those are fair questions. I'm a long timer by reg date and post count but I've been essentially inactive for almost three years and you know how much LEDs have advanced in that time. Also, when I was active the vast majority of my attention and work was in the incandescent field so LEDs were new to me then and just another galaxy altogether today. Also, as with all things that are tactile and functional, relying on a high degree of harmony between the user and the device, all the specs in the world can't take the place of a few days in the hand (or the mouth) and in the intended application.

Mouth grip was very difficult with the lanyard ring and somewhat easier with the ring removed. I think part of it has to do with getting used to the new shape. Also, I grip by gently biting through my lips so for me, it's more properly called a "lip grip." I have considered getting some square profile O-rings to go in the lanyard ring gap and then using bare teeth instead.

As for the ringy beam, that's really only noticeable when white wall hunting. In real use in the actual environment, it's not at all a factor.

So does that shed some light on it for you? Ask me about Welch Allyn though and I won't be able to claim ignorance. :thumbsup:

KeyGrip,
Nothin' but love. :D

Wilkey

Valpo Hawkeye

Flashlight Enthusiast

I gotcha. The F04, as you already indicated, will make the light more versatile. I use my L1 Cree primarily as a dog-walking light. I leave the F04 on and use the low level most of the time. However, if I'm trying to see if there's a rabbit out there (one my dog has already seen), I ditch the F04 in my pocket and kick it up to high. It's nice to have some throw!

warpdrive

Enlightened

I'm not trying to be a troll, but given that you're a regular with 4k+ posts, shouldn't you have known all of that going in?

I guess there even going in knowing everything there is to know about a flashlight, you can't predict whether you will just like it or love it. It's actually putting it to use that you can judge for yourself.

I was expecting to love the L1 as much as my L4, E1L, and HDS, but somehow it just isn't getting pocket time as much as the others. I still like it, just don't LOVE it.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast

My SF L1 Cree is growing on me. At first I wasn't sure about it, but it offers something a little different to add to my arsenal of lights. :)

I was wondering if it's normal to hear the spring "grinding" around when you twist the switch for constant on?

I don't carry the SF L1 as much as I'd like to because the clip and gnurling really catch on my jeans and it's a pain to clip and unlcip from my pocket. Anyone do any non-permanent mods to make it easier to clip in and out?

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast

I was wondering if it's normal to hear the spring "grinding" around when you twist the switch for constant on?
Mine does it too. Considering the mechanical relationship between the spring and battery, I'd expect it. Also, the end of the spring is unfinished. I'm betting that a little grind with a diamond wheel on the Dremel followed by some 800-grit sandpaper and then finishing with 1500 grit and Flitz would make that action smooth as silk. A dab of Caig Deoxit would probably help lube the contact point as well.

I don't carry the SF L1 as much as I'd like to because the clip and gnurling really catch on my jeans and it's a pain to clip and unlcip from my pocket. Anyone do any non-permanent mods to make it easier to clip in and out?
I do not carry any lights in pocket. I used to carry the L4 in a RipOffs holster that held the light in a loop and my Leatherman Wave in a flap pocket but after ventilating two pairs of jeans from abrasion with the aggressive SF knurling, I figured a different holster would be cheaper in the long run. For me, fast and sure deployment is the key to illumination success. RipOffs CO-63 for the L4 and CO-150 for the L1, both with the flap tucked in behind the lights for a friction fit retention.
Warpdrive, I know how it is. I know how it is. On the other hand, I just got a notice that my Dereelight CL1H is waiting for me at the post office. :party:

Wilkey

Stingray

Flashlight Enthusiast

I gotcha. The F04, as you already indicated, will make the light more versatile. I use my L1 Cree primarily as a dog-walking light. I leave the F04 on and use the low level most of the time. However, if I'm trying to see if there's a rabbit out there (one my dog has already seen), I ditch the F04 in my pocket and kick it up to high. It's nice to have some throw!

It's time for Surefire to come out with an E series flip-up beamshaper, doncha think?

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast

It's time for Surefire to come out with an E series flip-up beamshaper, doncha think?
Hell yes!

Oh wait, Butler Creek already makes a flip-up scope cover for 1" ends. Hmmmmm, a little F04 surgery perhaps? That's Cheaper Than Dirt part #23926. Or, thumb-activated, quiet open opaque cover #23815, a bit of routing, a bit of silicone...bam!

Wilkey