Shot Show 2008: any news from Mag or Inova?

Raven

Enlightened
Things seem pretty slow compared to previous shows. Has Mag or Inova announced anything?

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Inova is showing the new T-series which now uses the K2 flip chip with vastly improved output. The T4 and T5 now feature 3 output levels and strobing as well. Inova is also showing their K-series military lights to dealers/reps/etc. Availability on all 5 models is immediate or very soon. They also now offer colored cones for the T4/T5.

I haven't been to Mag yet but I seem to remember hearing that they're making a purpose-built LED light now.

Raven

Enlightened
Inova is showing the new T-series which now uses the K2 flip chip with vastly improved output. The T4 and T5 now feature 3 output levels and strobing as well. Inova is also showing their K-series military lights to dealers/reps/etc. Availability on all 5 models is immediate or very soon. They also now offer colored cones for the T4/T5.

I haven't been to Mag yet but I seem to remember hearing that they're making a purpose-built LED light now.

No upgrades to the bolt series or to the x1?

That's too bad. :(

Anyway, thanks for the info.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Availability on all 5 models is immediate or very soon.

So does this mean that they're going ahead with using the recalled K2's? I can't imagine they will be burn in testing all of the lights that come out of the factory. And I am quite sure they don't have a batch of K2's that are from before November. Am I missing something?

The Shadow

Newly Enlightened

Purpose-built LED? There's another purpose besides "light up" or "whack perp on head"? Seriously, please let us Mag fans know what you find out. We all know how long it takes them to update their web site!

:popcorn:

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
They update thier website? didnt know that..:whistle:

Im in for a long awaited LED Solitaire if they finally make it..

Crenshaw

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Im in for a long awaited LED Solitaire if they finally make it..Crenshaw

Actually, there is a gap in the market here that Mag could plug with ease.

If you look at the single AAA poll, there are two camps, those that appreciate the simplicity and and ruggedness of the Arc, and those that appreciate the insane efficiency and power output of the L0D-CE.

So, if Maglite were to pitch their Solitaire as a 35 lumen, Cree powered twisty, then they will have reached a pretty tasty comprimise. Bright(ish), efficient, rugged and with a simple user interface.

It would be a sell-out success!

The Shadow

Newly Enlightened
I gave them a call today. I mentioned that I heard something new would be at the Shot Show, but the rep I spoke to said she hasn't heard anything. I came out and asked for an LED Soli, which she denied they're making.

Since Shot is a dealer only show, maybe they're keeping stuff from the general public? Or they really don't have anything new.

I'll wait for a report from our spies at the show...

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I think "purpose-built" means a light built around the LED with good heatsinking and a good reflector.

The newer Inova lights sound interesting.

kavvika

Enlightened
In addition to the "LED solitaire" that everyone seems to be asking for, I believe Maglite should make the following light:

Sub-2C body (Make the switch assembly shorter)
>80% efficient boost driver ~800mA to the LED
At least a Cree P4, sitting on a nice heatsink

Is that so hard to make? Price it under $35-40, and it could be a huge seller. All I can say is, I'll very excited to see what Maglite and Inova have up their sleeves for 2008!

Tempest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm certainly looking forward to seeing what Mag will be doing in the near future. Can't say an LED Solitaire (or similar) is very high on my wish list, but it would be interesting nonetheless. Hopefully "purpose built" means that it won't just be a Solitaire (or other model) with a new LED drop-in.

Regards,
Tempest

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
You wonder what would be so hard to update their LED module with a more efficient LED. They must have some interesting prior contracts.

Latest posts