Maglite-based worklight for the cars?

CouchTater

Newly Enlightened
My current setup for my vehicles is a Surefire G2 for spotlight work (basically just reading street signs) and a Maglite 2C with the Maglite drop-in LED bulb.

Based on what I've learned here, I kinda plan on turning the 2Cs into spotlights using 3x123 power, a good aftermarket bulb, and a reflector. I really like the G2s but I don't like tailcap switches for general purpose use, and they're so small its easy to misplace them.

But the area/work light thing is not so easy. I'd like something similar to the Pelican LaserPro in terms of build quality and form factor, but I'm really leery of what appears to be a proprietary bulb. I haven't found a 4C or 4D with a flood beam, high build quality, weather resistance, square/rectancular geometry, etc. So what I'm looking into is a modded Mag chassis. Up-to-date LED bulb, really floody reflector and/or frosted lens, and maybe 123 power.

The latter thing has me stumped, though. 4x123 would be plenty of juice for a LED, and I wouldn't have to worry about leaking batteries, but are there PR-base LED bulbs that run at 12 volts?

thanks

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
CouchTater,

You will struggle to find a PR-base LED upgrade that is happy with 12 volts. A better solution would be to use 2 x C-cell Li-ion rechargables from AW. These will give you 7.4volts and a huge amount of stored power. Make sure they are the protected cells though. This would power most PR-base LED upgrades. Consider also something called the Malkoff module. It is an SSC P4 emitter driven to 1000mA, giving off about 240 lumens.

You might also want to consider a 2C Roar of the Pelican using the Li-ion C-cells. Runtime is short, but 700 lumens will certainly spot those signs for you. Hop over to the incandescent forums to find out more.

CouchTater

Newly Enlightened
Wow, that MT-III is something else. I don't know what I'd use it for, but I want one!

Pragmatically speaking, I am not looking for that much light from a work light. I have a Mag LED 3 watter in a 4D, and that amount of light would be workable. A Terralux TLE-6 would be even better, if the extra photons could be broadened out.

MikeSalt, I'm trying to avoid rechargeables. My car lights are carried much, used seldom, and I'm too lazy to keep up with a monthly recharge rotation. I was doing that for awhile with some 4xAA lights I was powering with NiMHs, but that was too much work for how rarely I used them.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
I put a layer of Glad Press n Seal on my 2C M@g LED lens to turn it into a flood light.

With Eneloops you only have to charge up once a year or after each use. Something to do on National Flashlight Day.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2RzgyvgjBM
Other brands such as RayOvac Hybrids should be charged up every 6 months. Sort of set your clock forward or back, swap out the batteries in your smoke detector, charge LSD NiMH.
LSD NiMH are also available in C & D sizes now:
http://thomasdistributing.com/shop/...html?SP_id=&osCsid=3h1l9l5279garb33c54hnj9eq0

CouchTater

Newly Enlightened
Hmm, maybe that's the way to go. Set up a Maglite 4C with four Eneloops, a Terralux bulb, and either a custom reflector or lens, with a clam-pack of Duracells in the toolbag for backup. A little pricy, but seemingly beaucoup runtime and good reliability, with the ability to get fresh alkalines at any Quickie-Mart if necessary.

I've been doing the "fresh batteries on DST/DST day" for awhile now. I've tried to convert to all NiMH for my AA uses as much as possible, but haven't done the C/D thing yet.