Best Drop-In for RCMP buddy's 6P Defender?

dano101

Enlightened
An RCMP buddy of mine bought the 6P defender because of the unique bezel and the fact that it came with an already integrated on-off clickie. He is regretting his decision now because he feels that he burns through batteries too fast, its not rechargeable, and it doesnt light up as bright as he would like... (yes i informed him they made the P61 with 20 mns runtime and about the various LF lamps available etc)

I told him that instead of running to get another $75-100 light (remember were in Canada and a 6P defender and 6 batteries will actually run that much), that i would look into an LED drop in and battery setup that will vastly improve the performance for him.

Im pretty much sold on the battery setup (2 AW RCR123's and WF138/139 Charger) but im at al loss for the best LED drop in to go with. I kind of have my heart set on getting him a new BOG Q5 (simply because i had an earlier BOG drop-in and it worked great).

Any other suggestions on what to go with? Besides another light all together...

Dano

optodoofus

Newly Enlightened
Bog Q5 super premium drop-in is an excellent choice. I have one in my 6P. However, I am slightly more partial to the Malkoff M60 in my 9P. The BOQ is slightly better at throw; the Malkoff slightly better at flood. You can't go wrong with either one.

optodoofus

Gunner12

Flashaholic
How about the Dereelight drop-in?(1SM-1)

The Malkoff and Bugoutgear are also good drop-ins but the Dereelight is lower priced(still good quality from what I've heard).

Last edited:

dano101

Enlightened
is there a vast difference in overall output etc between the GOG Q5 and throwing in a surefire led dropin? i know that the BOG q5 is overestimated and the surefire is probably underestimated

Beastmaster

Enlightened
Yeah, the BOG kicks the tail out of the SureFire P60L LED Lamp Assembly.

The SureFire LED drop in is floody, and has the same amount of throw and flood that a KL4 head gives - which is good, but not stellar.

The BOG drop in gives good flood, excellent throw, and is in 2 of my SureFires.

If you can't get a Malkoff M60 Q5, then get the BOG. You won't be disappointed.

-Steve

is there a vast difference in overall output etc between the GOG Q5 and throwing in a surefire led dropin? i know that the BOG q5 is overestimated and the surefire is probably underestimated

bspofford

Enlightened
I vote for the DereeLight 3SD Q5 with SMO and OP reflectors. Bright, neutral white, and nice beam patterns. The three modes are 100% > 50% > 5%, and it has a low voltage cutoff at 2.7V.

RichM

Newly Enlightened
Any other suggestions on what to go with? Besides another light all together...
Dano

I haven't tried the BOG drop-ins but here are some extracts from prior posts that you may find helpful.

One word of caution. On the 6P Defender the 'Strike Head', will cut off a lot of the side spill from the light. That may be ok for most occasions, but when sweeping an area for intruders it could be a big minus.

--
I have Malkoff's drop-ins in two 6P's, and Wolf-eyes *260 Lumen* in six, and Lighthound's Q5's in another two.

Malkoff:
http://www.malkoffdevices.com/shop/i...products_id=18

Wolf-Eyes D26 3.7-13V Cree Q5 LED *High Output [HO D26 3.7-13/Cree Q5
http://www.pts-flashlights.com/produ...5-114-125-6437

The run times specified on the Wolf-Eyes web page for that drop in:

-Runtime (2-CR123A batteries): 90 minutes with regulated output, and 8 hours with unregulated output.

-Runtime (3-CR123A batteries): 180 minutes with regulated output, and 14 hours with unregulated output.

--

The Malkoff and Wolf-Eyes appear to be about equally bright.

However, the Malkoff has a much smoother beam side-to-side. I'd choose it over the others (If I could get enough of them.).

I've tried them inside my dark garage and outside. I live out in the country and have an orchard about 100 yards from the house. I can see deer in the orchard using either the Malkoff or Wolf-Eyes.

However, inside the Malkoff wins hands down. The beam is smooth almost from side to side. The Wolf-Eyes has a sharp transition edge on either side. With the Malkoff I would be able to see an intruder off to the side but not with the Wolf-Eyes.

I also noticed something that I need to investigate further. If I point the Malkoff and the Wolf-Eyes side-by-side up into the dark sky, it seems like the Malkoff beam can be seen a lot further. This surprised me since they both appear to be about equal on a tree line at 100 yards.

So, bottom line, I think you'd be perfectly happy with either the Wolf-Eyes or the Malkoff.

Unless you compared them side-by-side. Then you'd want the Malkoff.

Rich

Strauss

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey RichM, how does the Lighthound Q5 drop-in compare with the others? I know it's driven at a lower current than the others, but can you elaborate a bit?

And Upstate NY huh, where abouts? I'm up in Plattsburgh if you know where that is...

RichM

Newly Enlightened
Hey RichM, how does the Lighthound Q5 drop-in compare with the others? I know it's driven at a lower current than the others, but can you elaborate a bit?

And Upstate NY huh, where abouts? I'm up in Plattsburgh if you know where that is...

I'm a little north of Binghamton.

The Lighthound Q5 drop-in had noticeably less output than the other two. I intended to compare it to the output of one of my 6PL lights but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Due to the extended bezel ring on a 6PD I would opt for the WE unit as the unique reflector may help retain a bit more useable spill over other units. YRMV

Strauss

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm a little north of Binghamton.

The Lighthound Q5 drop-in had noticeably less output than the other two. I intended to compare it to the output of one of my 6PL lights but haven't gotten around to it yet.

I have the Lighthound unit and can tell you that it's about double the output of the P60L module. Not as smooth of a beam, but good tint and about 200 emitter lumens(160 out the front). For now it's doing the job for me, but like half the people on this board, I would love to get my hands on a Malkoff :)

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
If your RCMP buddy will be using the light outside down a distance, the Dereelight 1S SMO w/ 17670 will be your hands down, best bet option for output and throw. The 1S SMO and OP used indoors at shorter distances will have a more intense hotspot than a Malkoff, BOG, or Wolf-Eyes assembly.