TLR-1 on RCR123?

TOTC

Newly Enlightened
I've searched the forums but if there is a definitive answer I haven't seen it (please drop me a link if it's out there). One user reported very briefly trying his TLR-1 on RCR and that it didn't immediately die, but he didn't want to risk running it long just in case.

Anyone know the voltage tolerance on the Streamlight TLR-1 and if it will endure a steady diet of RCR123's?

To be clear, I want to load it with primaries for actual "use" (by which I mean sitting on the bed-side table). I would like to use the Li-Ions for practice and training classes, however, to make practice economical (and since I have plenty of protected RCR123's).

ErickThakrar

Enlightened
Why not buy the LifePo4 batteries that are rated at 3 volts even, instead of 3.7?
Battery Junction sells a kit with the charger. Those should be safe to use, I think.

TOTC

Newly Enlightened
Hey buddy. I had considered that option, but figured I'd ask about RCR's before investing in a whole new charger + set of batteries. My box of chargers is always getting bigger and bigger and anything I can do to avoid that would be pretty sweet. Plus, don't the LifePo4's have awful runtimes?

ErickThakrar

Enlightened
It doesn't seem too much of a difference. The ones I bought from Battery Junction were the Tenergy brand ones. They're listed at 750mA. Compared to 900 as the top end of the regular RCR123s it doesn't look bad. Besides, if it's just for training, runtime shouldn't be too big a concern. How long do you normally have to run the light during a single session?

TOTC

Newly Enlightened
Sold. You're always conning me into buying more crap... I should stay away from you :crackup:

ErickThakrar

Enlightened
Hey, I'm my own worst enemy when it comes to this kind of thing :D I just got a whole set up for rechargeables for pretty much all my lights. Several 18650 cells, couple of chargers, some C-cell NiMh cells and a charger, yadda yadda. Battery Junction is gonna be the death of me :D