I broke my MTE C3 Q5 and need to repair/Mod it

737mechanic

Newly Enlightened
After only 1 week of recieving my MTE C3 Q5 "
SKU: 10688" I was coming into work and dropped it on the ground and now it will not come on. I have rang the switch and it is good, I put 3 volts straight to the LED and it didn't come on so I am assuming the LED had its innards rattled.

So I guess I will be ordering a new LED and maybe even a new driver to see if I can push it harder. The pill is easy to take out and the driver board measures 17mm wide and about 7mm deep and the LED star measures just under 17mm. What I was wondering is what LED star and driver should I get to get MAX brightness out of this puppy. I know I will probably need to grind a little off of the LED star to get it to fit but I don't see that being a problem as long as there is enough to grind off. I noticed the star was just sitting in its little hole without any kind of thermal paste so I will be putting themal paste on the new one for added heat sinking.

I would like to drive the knew LED as hard as a AA battery can and I really dont care about the modes, I would be just fine with 5 modes or 20. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Is there a souce to buy a R2 LED anywere?
BTW. I really love this light and it is by far my favorite light to date. I don't even use my stinger anymore, I am simply amazed at how bright a single AA light can be.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Has the LED's dome come off? If yes, then the bond wires probably broke.

Could you get a picture of you light?

Grinding down a Q5 from DX might work. The R2s aren't too much of an improvement and are hard to find.

If the driver that is in the light is broken, then thins one would be a good replacement(you can also modify it to a single mode driver).

737mechanic

Newly Enlightened
The LED's dome is still on, in fact everything looks perfect. I am sure it is not the driver due to the fact that I put 1.5 and 3 volts striaght to the led and got nothing, I am assuming I should have got something right?

I have added some pics so you can have an idea what I am dealing with.
Picture012.jpg

Picture013.jpg
The
Picture010.jpg

Gunner12

Flashaholic
3v should be enough to make the LED light up, presuming you got the polarity right.

Is the dome of the LED loose? I've had that happen and the LED doesn't work anymore. The LED in your picture looks fine.

Send DX an ticket and ask for a replacement/refund. It will take a while to respond though because the workers are currently on Chinese New Years vacation.

I've added an O-ring to the light(mine is a MTE Rebel 100 20 mode, same body) between the glass window and the bezel so my light is now quite water resistant. I've also added one to the gap on the bezel side of the body.