ROP(ish) on the Cheap – the A123 M*g 2C

SnowplowTortoise

Newly Enlightened
Here I outline how to build a cheap and easy "entry level" hotwire. This mod is for you if you:
1. Want a really bright (by the commoner's standards) rechargeable C-sized light.
2. Have no interest in setting newspaper on fire with your flashlight.
3. Do not want to wait weeks or even months for parts to arrive by mail.
4. Like me, do not trust yourself or the other members of you household to take proper care of rechargeable lithium ions cells and do not want to risk a meltdown.
5. Don't want to spend a lot of money on this (saving for another light, of course…:D)

Here are the ingredients (all purchased at Home Depot):
1 M*g 2C, $14
1 Black & Decker VPX battery and charger, $25 (on clearance now)
1 M*g 4 cell krypton bulb, $3-$4
6" black flexible pipe, 1" outside diameter

Here's what you do:
1. Peal the sticker off the VPX battery pack. Pinch the tabs, disassemble with extreme prejudice. The two A123 18650s are welded together with a little tab. Keep them together but remove them from everything else.
2. Keep the top of the battery pack where the connections to the charger are made. Stick it into the charger to allow easier connection of the charging leads.
3. Fold the batteries open so that they are end-to-end.
4. Cut the plastic hose so when it is inside the Mag, it stops just short of the tail cap threads. Line up the hose with the batteries. Cut a hole so that you will have access to the connection between the two cells. Slide the hose over the cells.
5. Remove the spring and spare bulb from the tail cap. Toss them recklessly over your shoulder. Remove some of the anodizing at the bottom of the cap so that an electrical connection may be made. Ball up some fine copper wire and through it in there.
6. Change stock 2-cell bulb for the 4-cell version.
7. Insert battery pack, replace tail cap. Illuminate!

To recharge, connect three wires to the remnants of the stock battery pack: positive, negative, and balance. The positive and negative go the ends of the battery pack; the balance goes to the middle connection. You can use alligator clips if you leave enough of the original weld tabs in place.

So there it is; cheap, easy and actually pretty bright.:party: Mine gives a beautiful white-colored beam that I find more pleasing and more impressive than the ROP-low bulb. I guess that means I'm going to be getting less bulb life, but so what – these bulbs are cheap and available everywhere!

Well, hope this was helpful to someone. Take care!

Fulgeo

Enlightened
We must be on the same wave length. Last night about 8:30 PM I was staring at the same VPX battery pack at home depo. Ending up buying a gray 2C maglite but decided to check the spec of the VPX battery pack on the internet before I tried the mod you just did 8). I was going to use a metal reflector + AW1111 lamp. Thanks for the info. I heard that those lithium ions cells have about 1400 AH. This sound right?

SnowplowTortoise

Newly Enlightened
Great minds, Fulgeo, great minds...

I believe you are correct about the capacity - though I think you meant mAh for the units.

I too am getting into the heavier firepower with the aluminum reflectors and the bi-pins and such, but I like this one because it's simple and kinda, dare I say, practical?

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I see things like this and I think "nice! me wants!". Then I remember I'm in the UK, where a mag is about £20 ($14=£7), VPX doesn't exist and spare bulbs are £5. :crazy: I need to visit sometime and stock up on flashlight parts!!

I could really do with a nice thrower running on rechargeables, too :ohgeez:

Fulgeo

Enlightened
Wanted to make an addition to this post. The two cells out of the Black & Decker VPX pacs are 18650 size A123 1100mah cells. I had said in my earlier post they were 1400AH, meant to type 1400mah but both were wrong :crackup:

Good information about what types of cells are found in readily available battery packs can be found in the link below.

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=185950&highlight=A123+battery+holder

Monkeyboab

Newly Enlightened
Great mod, unfortunately im in the same boat as Jarl herew in the UK we get ripped off for everything and cant even get most of the good stuff:( Holiday to the states for me I think:grin2:

Rob