Moby **** Trinity (3 X Ostar, 3 X Cree, 3 X Shark), beamshots added

LED Zeppelin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hardware:

- Fivemega FM3H head
- FM fat tube, 120 mm extension, deep tailcap
- 18 X AA holder 10.8 V operation, soon to be powered by LuxLuthor 12 X Emoli 18650 pack
- (3) 1000 lumen Ostar LE UW E3B QZ
- (3) Fraen narrow beam reflectors
- (3) Cree XRE Q5 WG
- (3) McR17XR
- (3) parallel SF-V Shark drivers, each driving (1) Ostar and (1) Cree in series. One mother Shark wired to the pot, and two slaves wired to the mother
- (3) machined aluminum SharkSinks
- (1) 20K ohm logarithmic pot
- Heatsink CNC milled from 3" round 6061 aluminum, improved one-piece design, 8.5 oz.
- Custom LZ pot knob w/ trit vial indicator

Specs:

- Current pot-adjustable from 0 - 920 mA
- Vf of LED strings: ~25 V @ 930 mA
- Cells are supplying 77.5 Watts

dsc0957ip0.jpg

Pictured next to the original MD:

Beamshots
Camera settings for beamshots: ISO 200, F3.5, 2.5 sec, white balance to sunshine.

Lineup and beamshots L to R:
- Arcmania SF-V, 1000 lumen Ostar, 2 X 17670
- Surefire M6, HOLA, M6-R pack
- My Quinta Magmod, 5 X Q4 WH/McR17XR, Shark/pot, 3 X 17670
- Moby **** MDXR-9, 9 X Q5 WG, 6 X 17670, 2s3p
- Moby **** Trinity, 18 AA NiMH, 9s2p
All cells fully charged.

lineupnz4.jpg

The beamshots were taken from my porch, as you can see it's snowing lightly which reduced throw. I aimed the lights down the driveway at the road running left to right in the distance.

In the foreground the small tree at center is at 35', and the far bank of the pond to the right at 80'.
To the downhill left bend of the drive it's 200', the road is 350', and across the road is a grove of trees at 450' of which some trunks are visible.

In all the pics you can see the edge of the beam except for Trinity; her beam's too wide to capture with the focal length of 18mm. The small tree to the very right at 10' gives a good indication of beam width and spill.

I'd like to thank to MJ and Mac for their help with parts and expertice, and DFiorentino for planting the seed in my head.

EDIT: Shark micro sink installation

While waiting for LuxLuthor's pack, I've been testing the light running on the 18 AA, 10.8 V holder. I found that due to thermal issues the Sharks were shutting down after 1 1/2 minutes on hi.

The Sharks were getting hot due to the level of boost (to be somewhat alleviated by the 14.8 V pack being built), and due to the total power running through them. Wayne recommends 15 Watts max in the stock configuration, and these are pushing over 25 Watts each.

I disassembled the light and fabricated two micro sinks for the top of each Shark from brass shapes and Romex core. The box sink with the soldered Romex epoxies to the top of the IC, and the bent leg sink to the top of the diode. Both create thermal mass and a path to the tube.

After reassembly, I tested the light running off my power supply at 16 V, 4.8 A, and after four minutes the head got very hot, but the Sharks were still happy. I reinstalled the partially depleted 18 AA holder and ran for 5 minutes, the last of which the cells couldn't keep up and the Sharks were flickering, straining to maintain the increasing level of boost. Again the head got hot, but the Sharks were still going strong.

Last edited:

easilyled

Flashaholic
Re: Moby **** Trinity (3 X Ostar, 3 X Cree, 3 X Shark)

:faint: :drool::bow::wow:

Words fail me when I look at these masterful lights of yours Dennis.

Yet another fantastic creation.

I guess it must be outputting about 3000 - 3500 lumens at max?

What is the beam like with the narrow Fraens?

Does it project far or is it floody?

LED Zeppelin

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks easilyled.

The beam is still floody even with the narrow Fraens.

It doesn't throw as well as the 9 Cree MD, but the beam is much wider with brighter spill. Definitely brighter than the Cree MD, and your guess about lumen output is as good as mine. It has a nice white tint too, makes the Crees look more green.

Once I receive the Emoli pack from LuxLuthor, I'll take some beamshots. The 18 AA holder is temporary, and the Sharks don't have any headroom. The Sharks throttle back the last 1/4 turn of the pot running on the AAs.

mash.m

Enlightened

wow, thats a very beautiful flashlight !

waiting for some beamshots and compares :popcorn:

i think this light will get very hot under fully brightness - 25V*0,930mA=23,25 * 3 = 69,75 Watts :eek:

my BigMag³ runs at near conditions: 3,7 volt@ 20Amperes = 74 Watts. After 5-10 Minutes @ 100% it will be very hot and you have to dim the light.

markus

Last edited:

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast

Awesome work LedZep:thumbsup:...:twothumbs...:bow:...:bow:...:bow:

Best regards

____
Tom:wave:

toby_pra

Flashaholic

Hi LedZeppelin!

Like the others told before:

Awesome!:) Especially your clean and nice work is amazing.
This Beauty looks really nice. More than lots of the others....:whistle:

I would also like to see some comparing beamshots.:)

MatajumotorS

Enlightened

OMFG! I wish that i had "some" money in my pockets to build something like that! :wow: :goodjob:

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast

WOW!!!!

Words fail to describe the beauty of this creation!!!

UNREAL!!!

beamshots??????

Sw3d3

Newly Enlightened

I thought the original moby **** was impressive (and it still is) but this shows some serious ingenuity :wow: good work dude.

LED Zeppelin

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks guys.

This one is really pushing all aspects of the mod. The cells, the Sharks, the fit, and heatsinking. Using just the (3) Ostars and not the Crees is a bit more rational. Ostars need to have a relatively low Vf of 21V or less when paired with the Cree to stay under the Shark boost ceiling.

wow, thats a very beautiful flashlight !

waiting for some beamshots and compares :popcorn:

i think this light will get very hot under fully brightness - 25V*0,930mA=23,25 * 3 = 69,75 Watts :eek:

my BigMag³ runs at near conditions: 3,7 volt@ 20Amperes = 74 Watts. After 5-10 Minutes @ 100% it will be very hot and you have to dim the light.

markus

The light does get hot, but I'm waiting for the battery pack to really give it a workout and take beamshots. It draws nearly 80 Watts so it's pretty demanding on the cells.

Last edited:

griff

Flashlight Enthusiast

DUDE....

Aircraft800

Flashlight Enthusiast

Zep,

The Moby **** Trinity is state-of-the-art, you are the cutting edge of multiple LED mods! You set the bar very high, you'll have many CPF'rs following your lead. I can't wait to see all of the other competitors!

Awesome work!

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast

LZ - I never liked big lights but yours is something I would like to have. Serious looking front end. goodjob!

SafetyBob

Enlightened

Zep, what exact model number of Fraen narrow beam reflector did you use for the Ostars?

And, the light is beautiful, but the pictures of the machine work that was done for the Crees is even more impressive.

Bob E.

MorpheusT1

Flashlight Enthusiast

Amazing!

Is there any way to get a shorter setup.4s2P maybe?

Benny