Losing Perspective?

jugg2

Enlightened
I was outside with my 2D-5761 M@g last night, and I started thinking, "This isn't really that bright..." I went and got a stock 2D M@g, and I realized how wrong I was lol. I have noticed that every now and then, my lights will seem average to me, but wow a non-flashaholic. I have to get a normal (dim) light to see how much brighter mine really is.

Anyone else ever had this happen?

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah me too. Sometimes I wonder why some of my lights do not seem that bright but when I go camping with my others who are using mags etc. I realize how bright my lights really are. I guess I am just so accustomed to my lights.

Dr.K

Enlightened
I keep a bare stock mini mag in my collection just for this very reason.

I pull it out alot more than I realized, until I read this thread.

Cool, things are in perspective once again, thanks jugg. :D

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
YES! omg, thank god im not the only one. 100+++ lumens from a any light the size of a 6P is very normal. I was sad that even my P1DQ5 even seemed rather dim to me when i was shining it around the other day, even with all its 180 emiiter lumens glory. anything below 100 lumens thats not AAA , thats not specifically made for long runtime,is really quite unacceptable. Unless its an Arc....The L1 shall be an exception too.

I think we all need to buy ourselves some Eveready Laterens, some regular energizer torches, and a Solitaire....

Crenshaw

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
My cmg reminds me regularly where we came from.
It is good to keep ourselves in check every now and then.
You are not alone..............

jugg2

Enlightened
I was hoping I wasn't alone. I guess over time you can get used to anything, and you just need something to bring you back to the reality of how bright your lights are compared to the average stuff.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
its hard when even your home made lights, running on deal extreme circuits, and CreeQ2 , on a spare battery pack, is brighter then any lay-person light..

Crenshaw

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
It kind of reminds me of an old saying I've heard. "The more you have, the more you want." Think of how satisfied you were 5 years ago with your brightest light. More than likely it's now just an average light to you, even though it's just as bright as it was back then. Same thing goes with just about any type of technology like computers, tvs or cars.
It's good to step back and keep your perspective.

Taboot

Enlightened
I just got a Solitaire this morning. Makes my Inova X1 look bright and that's tough to do.

I recently thought my G3 E0-9 seemed puny, until I turned on my stock 2 D Mg next to it.

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Perspective has long since been lost for me. My first perspective is that I lived the great proportion of my life without an EDC flashlight, and felt the lack maybe once or twice a year, if that. The first 3 lumen LED lights would have taken care of all those rare events and 95% of all the ones since. Everything else is pretty much gravy (i.e. toy time) for me.

That said, I've had a lot of fun finding unnecessary but not valueless uses for having more light. The perspective on fun is that more is always better, hence the constant upgrading...

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually, I can safely say that I have not lost this perspective. Maybe it is because, in England, the chances of coming across a high-end flashlight is very, very low. I appreciate my flashlights very, very much.

USM0083

Enlightened
I recently thought my G3 E0-9 seemed puny, until I turned on my stock 2 D Mg next to it.

;) My first really bright light was a Tiablo A8S which was great until I dropped a HO-9 into a 6P+extension. The HO-9 is great, but it's blown away by my WF-500/HO-R5. The HO-9 seems dim, until I compare it to a stock 6P or 8AX.

Last edited:

jugg2

Enlightened
I'm not saying I don't appreciate them, but I only use high output lights (compared to average that is), so I just get used to them as being "average".

Glasstream15

Newly Enlightened
Relating lights to "civilians" we ran nightime Trolley Tours during December. Packing up and taking the Trolleys back to the barn in the dark. Everybody was just using the running lights of the Trolley to finish up and it's terribly unsatisfactory. And I was only using a 3XAA Mini-Mag LED and a Brookstone 3XAAA LED Headlamp and they were absolutely wowed by how bright they are. I don't want to think what they would think if they saw a real "Torch".

:D

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was hating on my M1 Rebel unitl a power outage during the superbowl changed my mind. I was in my dad elderly building and the "inmates" were like ' the fire fighters are here.. I can see their light"

Ya, i didn't fight any fires... but the M1 ripper through the dark AMAZINGLY!!!!

Beastmaster

Enlightened
I've lost my perspective years ago. And as lights continue to get brighter (or in the case of my SureFire's - drop ins or new heads get brighter), my perspective goes further and further away from what most people would call mainstream.

My particular mainstream isn't bleeding edge, but it's cutting edge.

I'll use the little anecdote that I posted a while back about the real world test of 4 different Surefire's versus stuff like stock Mag's and other 2D cell stuff. People looked at even the 6P as "too small" and were blown away at the performance. Some were totally floored by the performance of the E series units as well.

So my perspective is totally outside the norm.

-Steve

dulridge

Enlightened
I've lost my perspective years ago.

Not years ago for me but recently. You know that you have a problem when your ROP low seems like it has flat batteries then you realise you've just pulled them out of the charger. Or when you think your ROP high actually has a Mag bulb in it by mistake.