Full-sized LED Torches Have Come of Age: Wolf-Eyes Thunder

Daekar

Enlightened
I recently purchased a Wolf-Eyes Thunder AX Q5 Edition and I have to say I'm impressed. The light is rated at over 700 emitter lumens which, if true, should put it around 500-ish torch lumens. I always try (though sometimes fail) to take lumen ratings with a grain of salt and focus on emitter/battery/runtime specs to give me a more clear picture of what the actual performance of the light will be, but in this case I wouldn't doubt the numbers given.

More than that though, the light is comfortable to hold, the UI is simple and effective (you actually have several UI options if you buy from PTS), the runtime is good with both primary and secondary cells, and it doesn't say "Strong Light" on the bezel... :nana:

I was using it and realizing that I was holding a 2x18650 torch that spanked an ROP-Lo, was getting up there to a cheap ROP-Hi build, and had over an hour regulated runtime. Truly, then, LEDs have matured and "come of age," undeniably more than a niche technology forever doomed to remain in the domain of enthusiasts and ready to compete with other forms of lighting in the real world. And it's only going to get better! :party:

This is now my go-to full-sized light, and I'm afraid my ROP may now languish in obscurity unless I pull it out just for kicks. I think things will change even more with the P7 SSC 4-core emitter on the horizon - I think we'll probably see them in Surefire lights before anything else, but they're going to change the game. Combine that with the news from MattK that Coast lights are going to be a force to be reckoned with running multi-Cree lights off of standard-sized NiMH batteries and the landscape is going to be very different this time next year.

Of course, we'll still be clamoring for the next greatest emitter... :thumbsup:

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some of my favorite lights in the "lights I don't own" category are big ones like the Thunder. I have an Elektrolumens MT-1 on the way which will turn my 3D Mag into a kick *** light. It's no EDC, but it's certainly not too big to carry on a walk or in the aftermath of an emergency. I think more companies need to get on the big light boat, and I'm certainly glade WE did.