The GS are coming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
In about a week, we are going to start offering the Arc-AAA with the option of the new Nichia GS LED. This is a multi-die 5mm which produces an oval beam for about 10.5 lumens (LSI tested) in the Arc-AAA with a 5hr runtime to 50% brightness. They will be $5 more than the 9 Lumen DS.

For awhile, we plan on offering the AAA in the following options:

5.5lm CS
9lm DS
10.5lm GS
6lm Snow
5.5lm Camo

The GS is going to be marked "Arc-P" but for now, we plan on offering the DS at the same time. This means the GS is not replacing the DS for now, they are to be offered side by side.

Every unit is type III hard anodize except the camo.

Each unit provides the stock AAA advantages include water depth rating and 5hr run time.

peter

Last edited:

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
1.7v lithium (energizer, etc) is fine as usual. The driver is the same, which explaines the same runtime.

As far as tint, the multiple dies tend to blend a bit in the middle, softening color variations. But the edges still are typicaly non-conformal phosphor in appearance. I think the biggest thing for people to get use to will be the oval hotspot.

Nichia tells me this LED was designed specifically for use in flashlights like ours.

from what I understand, there are 2-3 chips in the package and they are the DS chips. We are keeping the current for the package the same since the heat sinking is similiar. This means each die is running at a lower current, but the heat is similiar. I have been testing them since December and they have no problems. I recently gave one of the tested protos to a buddy of mine in the Army who has been using the CS for awhile now in Iraq.

The reason we haven't offered them sooner is that Nichia delayed shipment. This is normal for a new product. We also had to work out some issues with the LED since it is not quite the same size as the DS.

Externally though, everything is stock AAA in dimensions. The light is the same size, weight and runtime, it just got brighter. As I like to say, "free photons".

As far as I know, this is it for the upgrades for awhile. It might be another year or so until we get a brighter 5mm.

Of course, people always want brighter. Anticipating some new person posting that here. Please check out the other threads talking about variations of the 1xAAA light and why I make the design decisions I do.

peter

Last edited:

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
:faint:

I was so happy with my DS....now looks like i have to order another arc...

so what will this be considered? if CS is ARC-AAA, DS is ARC-P, this is?
and softening colour variations...meaning warm or cool? :grin2:

Crenshaw

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
In between warm and cool. This is because it is a mix of the two.

As far as having to upgrade again, I sympathize. When I heard about the new LED, I knew this was going to be a factor since the DS is still very new and not everyone has upgraded from the CS. I asked our rep, "now, is there anything else that you are planning on releasing soon?!" They said no.

My only other option was to delay the GS, but that doesn't make sense. I feel my responsibility here is to always use the best LEDs for a particular design.

For most people, 9 lumens is plenty for EDC. Remember, back in the 80's we got by with 9 lumens all the time. The most popular light back then was the 2AA mini-mag and that produces 9 lumens (with fresh batteries).

peter

Last edited:

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Youre doing the right thing by passing on upgrades as soon as you get them..its just our wallets that suffer slightly, but most of the time well worth it..:D

besides, who says no to free photons?

Crenshaw

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Of course I meant, "free photons" as in a brighter light while the run time is the same. For a given battery, you can now get more light quantity.

peter

greenLED

Flashaholic
For most people, 9 lumens is plenty for EDC. Remember, back in the 80's we got by with 9 lumens all the time. The most popular light back then was the 2AA mini-mag and that produces 9 lumens (with fresh batteries).
Funny how we've lost perspective on how much light is enough.

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very nice Peter. This is great news. I always like the idea of more light with the same runtime and it is nice that you are offering it rather than just keeping with the DS (which is still very good). I totally agree with the Arc AAA concept.

scottaw

Enlightened
Ha, i was amazed at my DS for it's size and keychain-ability, heck, it may be too much for some tasks. 10 is right about perfect mr gransee. Thanks again for an amazing product.

mraymer

Newly Enlightened
The GS is going to be marked "Arc-P" but for now, we plan on offering the DS at the same time. This means the GS is not replacing the DS for now, they are to be offered side by side.

How will users be able to tell whether or not they have a DS or a GS in their ARC? You mentioned the GS wasn't quite the same size as the DS. Is it obvious, the different size, or will we have to use other means to tell them apart. It would be nice if they were labeled. I understand it can be cost prohibitive to change the AAA-P engraving on the tube and have multiple stock for each light, so that option is off the board. Maybe a crude stamp indicating CS, DS, GS, etc. on the bottom of the light head indicating which LED was used during assembly would be sufficient. Just an ideal.

AMD64Blondie

Flashlight Enthusiast
Aaah,crud. I'm enjoying my Arc AAA CS,and you decide to tempt me even further? Curse you,Peter Gransee! (Just kidding..)

I'm quite interested..I'd jump for a new Arc AAA.

(Question: when you said the price was about $5 more than the Arc-AAA Premium,would the new price be about $50 before shipping?)

Last edited:

Haz

Enlightened
I think it's now time to upgrade. I was about to plunge into the DS, but find it hard to say no now there is the GS.

crocodilo

Enlightened
I think it's now time to upgrade. I was about to plunge into the DS, but find it hard to say no now there is the GS.

Well put, same here. I'm still at CS stage.

But... I love my Arc-P (2 off), everything about them, except... the beam. Bluesy, a little crooked, and frankly, 5 hours of dim light isn't so impressive anymore, when any common multilevel AA or 123 with a Cree can put around four times that time with the same brightness. Considering the other aspects of the Arc, it still gets carried, even if just for backup, or to complement a high-power short-running thrower. But the beam really is a little below my wishes. And it is hard for me to admit that lower priced lights will outperform this one, regarding tint, brightness and runtime (these are the most important characteristics of a flashlight, anyway).

Really hope that the new version improves things. I'd love to get a new one, and if the beam is worth it, my Paypal is ready!

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
I may pass on the GS (I'm trying to resist anyways), I did jump on the DS, and still have a couple of CS's and a BS, as well an ARC AAA that has in intermittent problem (doesn't workhalf the time). Aww, who am I kidding, I'll probably end up with a GS sometime this year. Thanks for keeping us updated Peter.

Status
Not open for further replies.