Carry options for HDS EDC

Katdaddy

Enlightened
Apologies folks! I tried search but did not find what I was looking for. I have a HDS EDC U60 that I love. I want to make this my edc light. I am looking for carry options for this light. I currently edc a Fenix P2D. I carry this suspended in my front pocket with a lanyard attached. I leave the lanyard hanging out of the pocket so the light is suspended and easily retrieved. I prefer bezel down carry. I have one of WValtakis bezel down clips, but I found having the light clipped to my pocket does not suit me. I am scared to just clip the light to my belt. So I am looking for a way to attach a lanyard or some type of holster. Thanks for any help you can offer.

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I carry an HDS, I use a kydex belt holster with tech-loc. Got it at some place like lighthound.com (don't recall), and it was a little spendy. I don't see it there now. But a very nice holster. There are less spendy solutions out there too, though others will have to elaborate on that.

Hodsta

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I carry an HDS, I use a kydex belt holster with tech-loc. Got it at some place like lighthound.com (don't recall), and it was a little spendy. I don't see it there now. But a very nice holster. There are less spendy solutions out there too, though others will have to elaborate on that.

It wasn't one from Litemania was it? Available over in the Market Place here http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=169720&highlight=holster

I use the kydex holster with 2 spare cell carrier, it also fits my TiPD Mule nicely also. A great carry option.

TCW 60

Newly Enlightened
This is the Lighthound one:

sqgxnn.jpg

Hodsta

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you have a single or dual? Is the cell carrier part of the holster or a separate unit?

I have a dual 123 cell holder and holster combined, however you can get single holsters and seperate single or dual cell holders, with either standard or tech-loc. They also do a combined HDS/Leatherman holster and I think they take requests. Check out the thread for more info.

EDIT: Having said all that the Lighthound model recommended by Powernoodle does look to be better quality than the Litemania version, if they are still available.

EDIT2 - If you want the finest holster available (IMHO) then check out MattG's site - Art of the Hide (http://www.artofthehide.com/Holester.html)- the Holester for the PD-S will fit the HDS (excluding clip). I have a number of them and they are absolute top notch.

Last edited:

OceanView

Enlightened
I EDC my HDS using AW's black cordura holster. I took off the clip since it's a pain to deal with when doing battery changes, particularly when topping off the Li-ion battery somewhat frequently. This holster has two different belt loops. There's a permanent inner loop, and a snap+velcro outer loop, so you can take your pick of how you want to attach it to your belt. It's padded, completely encloses the light, and has a velcro flap closure, so there's little chance of losing your light. I highly recommend it.

Katdaddy

Enlightened
Some great looking holsters here. I was looking at Lighthound and saw a lanyard ring for the HDS. Has anybody tried on of those?

houtex

Enlightened
I was wondering how does the finish of a flashlight hold up to the kydex? The reason I ask is because it leaves slight wear marks on my pistol.

TCW 60

Newly Enlightened
I was wondering how does the finish of a flashlight hold up to the kydex? The reason I ask is because it leaves slight wear marks on my pistol.

There are small wear marks at my P1 which is in a kydex-holster.
I don't want to use my kydex holster for the Novatac because the bezel ring gets first scratches.

Hodsta

Flashlight Enthusiast
My HDS might start to show a little wear as it is a tighter fit, however the Novatac (with Ti bezel) is holding up fine due to the slightly small diameter and less agressive knurling.

That said if you want to keep your light near mint then fabric or leather is the way to go - back to Art of the Hide again! The smaller Surefire Holster also fits the HDS.

Last edited:

qadsan

Newly Enlightened

alanagnostic

Enlightened
I use a Gerber nylon sheath to hold my HDS EDC. It was the large size and originally came with a Gerber multitool. I can put 2 123A's under the light in a small plastic bag. I've used it for over a year and it works great.

skillet

Enlightened
I carry my HDS or Novatac around my neck with a quick disconnect lanyard. The lanyard itself goes around my shirt collar and I hide(tuck) the light in between the 3 & 4th button of my shirt. I carry the HDS or Novatac that way everyday but Sunday. It's then carried in the right jacket pocket all day. This has worked well for me for 2+ years. Your results may vary if you don't, of course, wear a button up shirt like I do everyday...

Anyway...

Gordon aka:skillet

Katdaddy

Enlightened
I carry my HDS or Novatac around my neck with a quick disconnect lanyard. The lanyard itself goes around my shirt collar and I hide(tuck) the light in between the 3 & 4th button of my shirt. I carry the HDS or Novatac that way everyday but Sunday. It's then carried in the right jacket pocket all day. This has worked well for me for 2+ years. Your results may vary if you don't, of course, wear a button up shirt like I do everyday...

Anyway...

Gordon aka:skillet

How do you have the lanyard attached?

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have tries just about all the methods mentioned in this thread.
The Concealco is a great option if you want leather. they are a great value and are semi custom made to order. Here is a tip. Request that they put your initials into the leather (on the back) for a personalized unit.

Lanyard carry is also a great option.
The HDS kydex option is fantastic as well.
IMHO get 'em all like I did. You can do it over time. This way you are prepared for anything.
My first choice is the Concealco holster though.
Second is lanyard.
third is the Kydex unit which is on my work belt holding my HDS backup unit.
Yaesumofo

Check out the Concealco SF100 holsters. Very nice!
http://www.concealco.com/miva/merch...roduct_Code=SF100_SF100A&Category_Code=053SFH

And here's a review with pictures of the Concealco holster used with a HDS...
http://www.obairlann.net/reaper/flashlight/hds/concealco/

I have some Concealco SF100's on order, so I don't yet have any first hand experiences with them, but I really like what I've seen and read about these holsters.