any experience with d-mini digital?

psyrens

Newly Enlightened
Hello, flasholics!
I found a website selling q5 modded d-mini digital (q2) for pretty decent price and am thinking ordering it.
Has anyone experience with d-mini digital q2?
I heard that it has below-average performance on primary 123 and some lousy performance with 18650 tube.
I'm thinking of using it 18650 tube, so the performance on 18650 tube is important too, on r123 as well.
Another question is that if it d-mini SE q5 uses same driver as d-mini digital q2.
I found recent review on lightreviews.info that the performance of d-mini se q5 is pretty promising which is little different than I found on CPF about d-mini digital.
Especially, the light is nicely regulated on primary r123 unlike d-mini digital doesn't. Although output is sacrificed on primary 123, I don't mind it if it's nicely regulated.
Please help me to decide! and thank you!

Daekar

Enlightened
Firstly I'd be wary of any website selling a "modded" D-mini, or any other Lumapower light for that matter. You should know that any light that's not purchased from an authorized dealer has no warranty, even more since it's been modded.

That said, I have a Q2 D-mini upgrade module in my original D-mini body with PEU 18650 tube that I EDC about 50% of the time (the other 50% I carry my L2D) I've always been pleased with the output and runtime. I've never done a runtime test but I have used it for 2.5 hours straight on high and had no decrease in output - I believe runtime is 3 hours or more on a 2200mAh cell.

The original D-mini had comparatively disappointing performance on a CR123 cell when considered next to the digital version, but this new generation is a different animal - it works fairly well. Still this is a niche light, so unless you want a pocket-thrower there's not much point in getting one without the 18650 tube. I use mine always with that tube and the OP reflector and it's perfect for almost any task.

Again, I'd suggest you get a D-mini from Batteryjunction.com or some other authorized dealer rather than a company that has modded what are in all likelihood rejected parts. Of course, I could be wrong since I don't know your source... :grin2:

psyrens

Newly Enlightened
@ Daekar, Thank you for your advice, and I know what I'm doing.:naughty:
You are saying, with same driver, q5 will give little more output (maybe little more runtime also?) with same performance you've had, right?
That sounds promising.
I wonder how your d-mini q2 worked on cr123.
Anyway, thank you for your response!

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
The D-mini digital gives its best performance on an 18650. 3 hours of pretty regulated runtime...at rcr123a brightness. I am not sure where you heard that it gets "lousy" performance on one. The D-mini just is not driven incredibly hard...so it is not as bright as most 2 cell Q5 lights I know of. The digital UI is very nice though.