• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired M@g 85 - Older unit, might need help

Wattnot

Enlightened
Hi All. I've ordered and received all parts needed for converting my 3D Mag to a Mag85 - EXCEPT for Kiu's socket. I don't know if it's the New Year holiday or the bad weather but it's not here yet.

But I started taking apart the light and installing what I could. That's when I discovered the socket might not work since the pictures in Kiu's thread don't match what I've got here. Take a look:

P2060191.jpg

P2060192.jpg

The nickle is included for a size reference. This Mag is probably over 20 years old. There are threads inside the Mag tube that match up with that "disk" thing, which sits on the top of the socket assembly. Does it appear that I'm going to have a problem with Kiu's socket? Should I get a potted lamp instead and go with the stock socket? The only problem then might be that my non-cammed reflector has a smaller hole. I'm sure the 1185 will fit through the hole but the current, stock PR lamp will not.

Ideas?

Thanks!

DonShock

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just did some checking with my old Mag4D, and there is a way to put a Kiu kit on an old MagD. The bad news is that it doesn't work with the D sized kits, and it does need some modding to work. The trick is to get a C sized kit to fit the old style switches. The groove for the bulb post in the old D switches is the same size as thegroove for the bulb post in the new C switches. So you can put a C kit on an old D switch. The problem however is the screw on retainig ring. The OD of the Kiu C base is about 1.03" while the ID if the hole in the retaining ring is about 0.83", too small to fit. The hole in the retaining ring would need to be enlarged to fit over the Kiu base. On my ring, enlarging to 1.03" would just reach to the inside edge of the two dimples. I don't think the functioning of the ring would be affected since it bears on the switch at the outside edges. I'll post some pictures shortly.

Last edited:

DM51

Flashaholic
Wattnot, your pics are 1024 x 768 pixels. Please would you resize them - the CPF maximum is 800 x 600.

Wattnot

Enlightened
Wattnot, your pics are 1024 x 768 pixels. Please would you resize them - the CPF maximum is 800 x 600.

You got it.

Thanks for the help. I put the old socket back together, tossed in a potted lamp and all is well. WOW is this thing BRIGHT!! It's just NUTS! And talk about a hotspot! At 100 feet it would light up an entire garbage truck!

:faint:

Last edited: