Another test for the T1.......

Saiga

Enlightened
I was just reading the thread about shooting the T1 with a rifle round, and another angle occured to me. What if we find a CPF member that's soon to be going somehwere like,say,the Cayman Islands, and said member brings several thousand feet of fishing line, then ties the T1 to the line and sends it off the back of a dive boat down into the cayman trench ? I don't recall the exact depth, but i know it's many thousands of feet. Figure 14.7 pounds per square inch for every atmosphere of pressure ( every 33 feet ). You do the math !!!

p.s. yeah,yeah, so i'm enjoying a couple rum & cokes.:D

Saiga

Enlightened
Actually, the deepest place on the planet is the mariannas (sp?) trench, in the Pacific. I believe it's like 35,000 feet deep, about 7 miles. The cayman trench is less than half that,maybe alot less. (still mighty deep).I suggested it because it's a realistic destination,given its popularity for scuba diving. The mariannas trench on the other hand is WAY out in the middle of nowhere.:eek:

Last edited:

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
This would be interesting, but the light should be checked every 50 feet or something. :)

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unless you use some ridiculous strong line, you'll probably loose the light, either to big fish or water current or something else.

wild68fury

Newly Enlightened
I think the o-rings would fail slowly and the water pressure would equalize inside and out.

Empyfree

Enlightened
Sounds like fun. I'll go if you guys pay... :poke: It would really upset the angler fish and other bioluminescent creatures at that depth, I'm getting really childish visions of a cult of glow-fish worshiping a T1!!!

Off on another tangent, bioluminesence... anybody included that in a mod yet?

Federal LG

Flashlight Enthusiast
The deepest place on Earth is the Marianna´s trench.

It´s a cool test... and I think the glass window will be the first to implode, to equalize pressure. Once the water gets inside, T1 can go happily to the bottom of the trench: nothing more is gonna break or explode, due to the pressure equalization.

I don´t remember if I saw something like that on the T1 tests, but a good test also would be the resistance of the metal body against acid.
I suggest that because human hand sweat has a lot of uric acid. And in a long term, it can damage metal parts. So, I am curious about the T1 resistance against acid.

:naughty:

mr.squatch

Enlightened
Somebody buy me one and I'll strap it to an rov. I've had em down to 6000 meters, and they will go farther if we get into deeper water. I sent a surefire g2 down to 450ft just to see if it'd flood. The g2 survived, but I wouldn't send it much past that. I'd guess the t1 would go a bit further, but at 7 miles deep it'd come back looking like crumpled tinfoil. haha. I'm waiting on a black t1, once I get it I may get two, and use one for testing purposes. I can videotape it the whole way down and created a video file with depth and pressure overlay on the video. If any of the tested/killed t1's still have a good bulb assembly in there I'd be willing to send one down lit and see how far it goes. If not, I'd take out at least the batteries.

g

Sir Lightalot

Enlightened
I'm pretty sure that the first thing to break would be the glass lens obviously. after that, water would get inside and equalize pressure so nothing really more would happen. But id like to see how long it would last anyway :popcorn:

Edit: oh i didn't see that Federal LG already said that but i agree with him anyway:poke:

Last edited:

mr.squatch

Enlightened
I'm pretty sure that the first thing to break would be the glass lens obviously.

I haven't seen the thickness of the glass, but if any other deepsea lights are any indication, i'd guess the o-ring would push before the glass would break. That's the main problem I've come across so far. Anybody know the thickness or kind of glass used?

g

hiredgun

Newly Enlightened
Well as long as you have it down there, you might as well put some hooks on it, turn it on and do a little deep sea trolling. It could be the hot new lure for 2008.

Draven451

Enlightened
Somebody buy me one and I'll strap it to an rov. I've had em down to 6000 meters, and they will go farther if we get into deeper water. I sent a surefire g2 down to 450ft just to see if it'd flood. The g2 survived, but I wouldn't send it much past that. I'd guess the t1 would go a bit further, but at 7 miles deep it'd come back looking like crumpled tinfoil. haha. I'm waiting on a black t1, once I get it I may get two, and use one for testing purposes. I can videotape it the whole way down and created a video file with depth and pressure overlay on the video. If any of the tested/killed t1's still have a good bulb assembly in there I'd be willing to send one down lit and see how far it goes. If not, I'd take out at least the batteries.

g

That would be one heck of a punishment test - The lengths us Flashoholics go to test out our lights! WOW it amazes me ;)

testing the light that far beyond practical depths is ridiculous. it is a waste of a perfectly good flashlight. I know it is just an idea, but what is the point of wasting it just for some kicks and giggles. Send the dang light to some poor chap working pro-bono in a 3rd world country.

mr.squatch

Enlightened
testing the light that far beyond practical depths is ridiculous. it is a waste of a perfectly good flashlight. I know it is just an idea, but what is the point of wasting it just for some kicks and giggles. Send the dang light to some poor chap working pro-bono in a 3rd world country.

Apparently you have missed the testing process over the last month or so. T1's have been shot thru, burnt, dropped, frozen, stomped, driven over and crushed. Just for poopoos and hahas. Most of the people got the lights as test units with the intention of abusing them until they're dead. Nobody would do any of these things to a light they wanted to keep. It's all in the name of "science"... A "that's one tough light" badge the t1 can carry for the rest of its production life. Nothing to get bent out of shape over I can assure you

g