Favorite Malkoff Configurations

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
I've been planning my first Malkoff for sometime and just finished. I'm so pleased, I thought I'd share a bit and see what others have come up with. Here's mine:

Module
C 2-3 Malkoff

Host
Maglite 3C, black

Batteries
Duracell Cs

Extras
UCL lens
KD MOP Reflector
Leef Ring C

Notes
I chose a 3C because I love the C size (vs D) and the extra voltage gives more output (1000ma vs 600ma) and more runtime (3.5h vs 2.5h) than 2 cells. The host was brand new so it took some fidgeting to get the dropin to fire. I think some factory grease was blocking connectivity. The installation notes said to put it in farther than it seemed to want to go. It works fine where it stopped. The reflector's opening I drilled for the TerraLUX is larger than needed for the Malkoff (another 2 week wait!).

Results
I'm surprised how blue the output from my trusty TerraLUX looks next to the output from the Malkoff. The beam is solid and powerful but far to narrow for my tastes with an SMO. MOP gives it enough diffusion to use as a walking light. Walking in the rain, things near and far light up with contrast, detail, and excellent color rendition. Someone's old AAA battery phosphoresced as even the spill light hit it.

Conclusion
Now I need an M60 host so I can have a Mini Malkoff! :twothumbs

Last edited:

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got a 4C Malkoff that's my fav. I'm procrastinating on buying some LSD NiMH cells for it mainly because the charger is a lot of money. 4 x 1.2v = 4.8volts which will give you a good 1000ma drive current and not crowd the 6volt top end of the Malkoff circuitry. Long runtime and no alkaline spills are the pluses. About the same length as a 3D Maglite but lighter and a thinner grip. Feels just as solid. Got a little inner tube section on the slippery smooth end below the Mag checkering for a better grip.

Snagged one of the old style prototypes for $55:

malkoffcmaghw5.jpg

Have the stippled reflector, this is what it looks like compared to a stock Maglite.

malkoffreflectoroj2.jpg

Last edited:

5.0Trunk

Enlightened
Mag 2D filled with Duracell 3Cs, Smooth & OP reflector and UCL.
I originally had the copper drop-in and I gave that away to a family member for X-mas. I order another one for myself and 2 additional ones for other family members. I have a feeling that I will be ordering more for other family and friends.

Last edited:

scottaw

Enlightened
When i get around to it, i want a malkoff in a quad bore 1D mag. Someone on here did it with tri or quad bore, and you could still use a D in an emergency. Perfect.