Troubleshoot not working LED

polarthunder

Newly Enlightened
Hey all, I just ordered and received one of these Cree drop-in LEDs. Don't know if I should post the ebay link or not. Regardless, I've tried it out in two flashlights (Surefire G2 and 6P) and the bulb does not light up (fresh batteries, other lamps do work). This leads me to believe there is something wrong with the lamp. I have noticed however that my batteries get warm/hot if I do try to use it. Is this a sign of something? I shouldn't be doing anything wrong, but if there's something I'm obviously doing wrong, let me know. At this point, I'm going to try to get a replacement. Any pointers/troubleshooting is appreciated, but I'm guessing I just got a defective unit. Thanks in advance.

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some of them need the outer spring trimmed or removed to work I believe - however if your batteries are getting warm quickly it sounds like something is shorting out. If you have some wire or alligator clip wires you might try running a battery or two outside your light to the module contacts to see if it lights up. If it does not light up right away (within a second or so ) then don't leave it hooked up or you might risk a battery flame out if it is really shorted inside the module. If the easy things don't work and you've looked at it carefully time for a refund or replacement request.

polarthunder

Newly Enlightened
Sounds like I need a replacement. Batteries do get warm fairly quickly and I've noticed in the few times I did hook it up that the lamp unit started giving off a burnt scent.

Thanks for the reply!

Gunner12

Flashaholic
That burning smell is a bad thing. If the driver hasn't burned out yet, I'd try unscrewing the reflector portion a bit.

Also make sure the batteries aren't put in the wrong way.