u2 here in a week!

rmz

Newly Enlightened
hey all,

i posted a while back about which surefire to get and decided on the u2 ultra. seems like a great light on paper, but a lot of reviews deal with a faulty switch, and i was wondering if this is still going on with the lights made this recently ( so recently that when i ordered it late dec, it's barely gonna get here next week, lady at sf said "they're rolling off the line as we speak") i noticed that all those reviews were from a while back so just wondering if its still an issue

any other comments by owners appreciated as well!

Draven451

Enlightened
RMZ,

I cannot speak to the functionality of the U2 - but I recently received my first SF an L1 Cree and I can honestly say it is a very well made torch. The fit and finish are excellent, the knurling on the body is very aggressive and grippy vs the majority of other lights I have handled. The two stage beam low and high are very nice and a bright white. If my L1 is a good example of SF's quality I am sure you will be very happy with your light.

Welcome to CPF and enjoy your new light :grin2:

rmz

Newly Enlightened
thanks thats good to hear...

this waiting sucks tho... been six weeks... ready to go test it out on mt bonnell in austin...

i know this has prolly been asked a million times, but is it safe to use the 18650's in this light w/o any damage or premature wear? it kinda sucks cause i already bought two boxes of the 12 batteries, then i heard about these batteries...

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rmz you have to take into account the fact that it is true that a few tens of people have complained about the U2's switch but that many thousands of happy users have not written to say that their switches were OK. As usual it is mostly the unhappy people who post.

In any case my 2006 U2 has always behaved perfectly well and I am sure you will love yours as most of us proud owners have done. :cool:

precisionworks

Flashaholic
My new-in-box U2 has been flawless ... my son's used U2 likewise. The coolest light that SF makes, IMO, and one of my favorites because of the easy UI.

If it breaks they fix it or replace it. Simple:D

GreySave

Enlightened
<< is it safe to use the 18650's in this light w/o any damage or premature wear >>

18650s will not fit the U2 body. You need to either have the body bored or purchase a Leef body at about $45 to $55 more to convert it to rechargeables. Plenty of people seem to be using them without any issues.

As for primaries.....You will find that you use the lower levels a lot more than the high ones. The reflector design of the U2 is so good that I can light up the back of my yard at about 80 feet adequately to detect anything / anyone using the lowest setting. At that range that's just using the hotspot. The spill is too weak. Yet it does the job and more power is a twist away if needed. Thus a set of batteries will last a lot longer than you might think.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
.i know this has prolly been asked a million times, but is it safe to use the 18650's in this light w/o any damage or premature wear? it kinda sucks cause i already bought two boxes of the 12 batteries, then i heard about these batteries...
Howdy rmz, I'm believe GreySave is correct about the 18650's not fitting the newer U2 battery tube..... however, I pretty sure that I've read of many folks using the 17670 cell with good results. It might be worth looking into.

BTW, even if you end up using a rechargeable cell in your new U2, I think you will find that most CPF members like to keep a box or 2 of primary CR123 cells around just in case. You never know when the power might be out for a week, and it's mighty hard to recharge with out power (although a good car adapter for your charger can sure come in handy), plus keep in mind that those primary batteries have a 10 year shelf life, so enjoy the security afforded by that modest investment in the single most important accessory you can buy for your new light.

Amonra

Enlightened
dont wanna burst your bubble but wh not wait a bit until the new version is launched ?

Chawarito

Newly Enlightened
dont wanna burst your bubble but wh not wait a bit until the new version is launched ?

Is there a new one being launched? I was told (from a surefire dealer) that Surefire has decided not to upgrade the LED in the U2 yet since beam quality along with the wide tatical beam (that the U2 has been known for) would take a hit. Dont quote me on this! I have never really listened to sales people.

I do have a U2 though that i bought a year ago (post plastic space inside) As for that tail-switch i had a few minor problems. Once in a while the tail cap would become a little sticky... sometimes didnt want to turn on and a couple times didnt want to turn off. I just called surefire and a new tailcap was in my mail box five days later. I havnt had any problems since.

I see that many of you asked if you can use 18670 batteries in the U2. The new version (which does not have a plastic tube inside) is not able to use a 18670 without buying a leaf body. you can however still fit an AW 17670 protected battery inside if you peal off the AW sticker. i tried without and it does fit but it makes it very difficult to pull the battery out. It is safe to use these batteries, although surefire will discourage you from using them. You will more than likely need to load these batteries from the bezel side rather than the tailcap side.

Last edited:

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is there a new one being launched?

There is no new U2, but there are two new models being introduced that are similar to the U2, and use some of its features like the selector ring. From what I read about the new models, however, they seem more like evolutions of the U2 idea than direct replacements for the U2. Very different and technically complex lights.

socom1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
You should be quite happy with your U2. I like mine quite a bit. Some U2's CAN use the Pila 600P(same thing as the 18650?) cells with no problems, depending on their age. My U2 fits a Pila 600P with a bit of room to spare. AFAIK, some like mine have plenty of room, some have a plastic spacer sleeve inside the tube that can apparently be removed by putting the U2 body in the freezer for a half hour or so, then break the spacer tube free of the aluminum body (mine did not have the spacer sleeve). Some bodies are too narrow and won't accommodate a 600P or 18650. The tailcap problem is fixed from what I've read. My tailcap works fine. If yours doesn't, call Surefire and let them know you have a bad clickie tailcap for your U2 (describe what it is doing/not doing) and they will take good care of you.

rmz

Newly Enlightened
wow thanks for all the feedback guys! yeah i'm sure that i'm going to enjoy it, its just all this waiting that sucks..

wat else sucks is i lost my job today, but was "assured" that i would still get the u2 at a great price, so we'll see... i think either way i'll get it anyway. just glad to hear that the clickie issue isnt so prevalent anymore, i dont wanna deal with my former employer more than necessary

Zenster

Enlightened
Several people have mentioned using a 17670 in the U2, so I'm a little confused.
The U2 uses (is designed for) two CR123's which put out 6 volts while a 17670 is a 3.7 volt battery.

Will the U2 even light up using just 3.7 volts?.. and if it does, is it anywhere near as bright running on almost half the voltage?

Chawarito

Newly Enlightened
Several people have mentioned using a 17670 in the U2, so I'm a little confused.
The U2 uses (is designed for) two CR123's which put out 6 volts while a 17670 is a 3.7 volt battery.

Will the U2 even light up using just 3.7 volts?.. and if it does, is it anywhere near as bright running on almost half the voltage?

The actual voltage of the 17670s usually range between 3.7-4.2v. yes thats right 4.2v hot off the charger. This is why using 2 RC123a would not be a good idea.

As for the U2 it does light up and does it pretty well.. i on average I get around an hour of good solid light on high. compairing my light readings, using the U2 on 17670s equates to a 10-14% decrease in overall brightness compaired to 2 CR123a. Considering that its rechargeable, i feel its well worth it. You also may need to take a long nose pliers and extend the spring on the emitter side to make a good contact. some batteries with the nipple on the positive side will not need this though.

When the U2 runs out of battery power, it will start to flicker, if you are using unprotected rechargeable batteries, this is your cue to change the battery to prevent damage to the cells. if you are using protected batteries or 2 CR123a, you can simpily lower the intensity and get an hour or two of light on the lower settings.

Chawarito

Newly Enlightened
There is no new U2, but there are two new models being introduced that are similar to the U2, and use some of its features like the selector ring. From what I read about the new models, however, they seem more like evolutions of the U2 idea than direct replacements for the U2. Very different and technically complex lights.

Wow.. your right... i just saw the new lights. its amazing. I see there will be two versions a UA2 and a UB2. very simular to the U2 but with much more brightness 200 lumens and 400 lumens. the UA2 can also focus its beam. NICE:twothumbs

U2VOODOO

Newly Enlightened
Yes the U2 is a great light for many purposes. I liked them so much I bought two! I retired my 6-P when I got the U2 and carry it along with an e1L every day.

The 6P is a great classic light. Mine is very work worn from lots of daily use. Now my wife uses it any time she needs to go outside at night with the dogs.

I look forward to work wear on my U2, I think it gives them character. The other new U2 will be back up if needed. Since it looks like they wont be making the U2 in the future, they may be of slight collector value. Lets hope!

WDR65

Enlightened
My U2 is still in riding in my truck and I don't see myself getting rid of it anytime soon. If I get the UA2 and UB2 it might be relegated to house duty or one of my hunting packs, but for now its still one of my two favorite Surefire's.