Ultrafire C3 Q5 vs. Ultrafire C3 P4 (5-mode)

phreeflow

Newly Enlightened
Hi All,

I'm a flashlight Noob and have been lurking on CPF for around 5 months and am shocked at the amount of knowledge this community has :eek:. I've learned more than I could have imagined about flashlights and like many of you, my wife now thinks I need professional help...:poke:

I've ordered number of lights from DX and my favorite is the Ultrafire C3 5-mode with the P4 Cree LED. I'm looking to get one for a friend but he wants the best and brightest (don't we all :whistle:) so I'm looking to the advice of CPF'ers so I don't get him the wrong light.

He loves the C3 5-mode P4 but I'm thinking that he would like the latest Q5 C3 since the CREE Q5 SHOULD be brighter. He really doesn't care about the modes/runtime (I've read about the shorter runtime on the Q5 C3 on another post)...he just wants the brightest in the C3 form factor. :D

Does anyone own both lights and can comment on whether the single mode Q5 C3 is brighter than the P4 5-mode C3 on high??? :shrug:

Thanks in advance!!!

Last edited:

dulridge

Enlightened
Given that the maximum difference is probably less than 15% and you will not notice less than 50% difference unless the two lights are side-by-side, I'd really not care about the difference.

bessiebenny

Enlightened
1-mode UF C3 P4 lasts ~4 hours with 2AA.
5-mode UF C3 P4 lasts ~2 hours with 2AA.
1-mode UF C3 Q5 lasts ~2 hours with 2AA. (according to takebeat)
(takebeat used 2 x 1300mAh AA batteries to get 50 minues with 2AA)

Mine is on its way (according to DX, it has been shipped last week).
So I will let you know more about it when I get it. (Within 2 weeks?)

Last edited:

phreeflow

Newly Enlightened
Given that the maximum difference is probably less than 15% and you will not notice less than 50% difference unless the two lights are side-by-side, I'd really not care about the difference.

Really??? :thinking: I thought that there would be greater than a 15% difference between a P4 and a Q5 Cree.

Moreover, I'm surprised to hear that there wouldn't be much of a noticeable difference unless there is a 50% difference in output...:faint:

I ignored the Q2 and Q4 Crees thus far but decided that an upgrade to a Q5 would be justifiable since there is 4 generations of led technology between a P4 and a Q5. But if the output won't be noticeable..when would I recognize a jump in brigtness...R2 Cree?? :candle:

Can someone clarify?

Looking forward to your review and comparison Bessiebenny and thanks for putting up the runtimes. ;)

bessiebenny

Enlightened
Our eyes cannot differenciate 20-30% difference in output that easily. So unless it's at least 50% difference, it doesn't make a huge difference in the real world. (Only matters under a light meter. hehe) Still, for the same amount of output, you get 30% more run time which definitely cannot be ignored.

P4 and Q5 has around 30% difference in output per same amount of input.
R2 is around 6% brighter per same amount of input compared to the Q5.

but, It's not that simple. Simply swapping out a P4 to a Q5 LED with everything else the same does not mean Q5 will be any brighter. (It's coz Q5 generally has a higher Vf requirement) Iif the driver is good, it should be, but budget lights normally do not have such good drivers. =P

phreeflow

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, I noticed that just swapping leds doesn't always do the trick and it's always surprising when a Q2 torch easily beats out a Q5. Sooo many variables and things to consider. :confused: I know about the Q5's being more efficient so I was surprised to see that the old P4 C3 has way better runtimes over the new C3 Q5 :shakehead

I'll wait to see your review.

thanks!