Novatac vs Fenix??? Pros and Cons?

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast
Of couse, that's the 120P vs the P2D Q5. These flashlights seems to be key competitors, despite their entirely different emphasis of qualities. After all, they are the same size and use the same size batteries. I can't find any beamshots or reviews comparing the two. If you have both of these lights, could you tell me which is brighter overall? Throwier? Better build? More useful?

Besides multiple inputs, the main thing I'm looking for is beamshots, if at all possible. I've seen the reviews at light-reviews.com, and that's the one thing they lack.

Also, if there is a brighter 1xCR123A flashlight, please tell me. Excluding the D-mini, which doesn't fit my needs.

Last edited:

Dead_Nuts

Enlightened
If your only concern is sheer brightness, the Fenix Q5 is brighter than the 120p. But the beam quality of the 120 is superior IMHO. The spot is more pronounced with the Q5 while the 120 more gradually fades into the spill area. There is still a definate hotspot, it just transitions more smoothly. I think the 120 has a more usable beam.

All that I just said totally ignores the fact that you cannot compare these two lights. There simply is no way the Fenix compares to the NovTac in any category other than raw output.

Wicho

Enlightened
Novatac is a good ol' USA Company and their products are made in the USA as well.

I have both the P2D and 120P - I like them both and each has its place, but I EDC the 120P. I think it is just a more useful light with a beam pattern that lends itself to a larger variety of real life uses.

My feelings are pretty much in line with Dead_Nuts'.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix P2D and the Novatac are different types of lights. The P2D Q5 will be smaller and brighter. The Novatac 120P offers programming options, heavier dutry construction, more grip, etc.

If you just want a light that is small with a lot of output and simple to operate, the P2D is great. If you need more options and maybe more ruggedness (although the Fenix lights have proved to be very rugged), the Novatac maybe better.

precisionworks

Flashaholic
There simply is no way the Fenix compares to the NovTac
+1

No offense meant, Fenix makes a good light at a low price. But comparing Fenix to NovaTac is akin to comparing a Ford to a Cadillac.

Beam quality is superb, as good as the U2 Surefire in a package half the size. Ease of use is perhaps better on the U2 (twist the ring to get 6 seamless transitions from 2 lumens to 100 lumens) ... but the 120P lets the user select 4 of the available 22 items, not counting the strobe/locator/SOS/etc. Build quality on the 120P is as good as Surefire, flawless machine work, perfect thread fit + perfect O-ring fit, etc.

If you want a killer one-cell for not a lot of cash (compared to the modded lights), get a 120P. Or do like I did and get two:huh:

(Which explains my sig line ... 120P + 120P = 240P:laughing:)

Last edited:

Albinoni

Banned
So would you say Novatac's are just as good or up there with Surefires. Also I noted the Novatacs also use the CR123 type batts as to that of the Surefires.

Wattnot

Enlightened
I said some of this same stuff in one of the many other Novatac threads but it seems worthy of repeating here:

Last week I got my very first high output LED and that is the Fenix P2D Premium. It was under $60 and it's very impressive! Then I started reading about the Novatac 120P and wow. . . .what a following it has! I like products like that . . . fierce devotion with merit. It's refreshing because with many things you find people blindly following a name and attacking anyone who questions it!

I've never met a Novatac in person but I can give you my only dislikes on the P2D. It's three things:

1. Reverse clicky
2. No clip and nowhere to put one
3. Can't take (or you're not supposed to use) RCR123

Other than that, I like it a lot. But the more and more I read about the Novatac 120P (and even the 85P) the more I wish I would have just bought that instead! It sounds like something I'd like a lot!

The higher outupt notwithstanding, the one major thing the P2D has going for it is the price. . . It's basically one THIRD the price of the 120p. I'll be watching to see if the 120p's start coming down or start showing up on the used market. In another thread, there's a hint of talk about that happening in the not too near future (something about a better model or competitors model coming out soon). :mecry:

digitaleos

Enlightened
Here are some beamshots I took last year comparing these two lights with a couple of others as well, although I did receive some criticism for not having the lights all centered exactly, it should give you some idea at what to expect.

digitaleos
user_invisible.gif
vbmenu_register("postmenu_2115257", true);
Flashaholic

icon1.gif
Re: Fenix P2D Q5 Vs. Novatac 120P (Beamshots)
Update with new beamshots. This time we are comparing Surefire L1 Cree, Fenix L1D-Q5, Fenix L2D-Q5, Fenix P2D-Q5 and Novatac 120 P. All photos are manually set to F/8 , 2sec exp.,ISO 200 and AWB. This time I have included orange pylons placed 25 feet apart, the one closest to camera is 10 feet from the lights, the next one is 35', the next one is 60' and the shed is 85' from the lights. I placed the lights on a sawhorse 10' from the first cone in an attempt to keep the lights hotspots in the same general area.

Fenix L1D-Q5

Fenix L2D-Q5

Fenix P2D-Q5

Surefire L1 Cree

Novatac 120P

Knife Boy

Newly Enlightened
I own a P2D Q5 and a Novatac EDC120. Both are great lights. The P2D is very bright and carries a great price tag. It is slightly smaller than the Novatac (mostly in diameter).

While I have found the quality on all my Fenix lights to be very good, Novatac definitley has the edge here. They are thicket walled, and just seem sturdier. The Novatac also has a nicer finish than the Fenix.

I don't think you could go wrong with either light. they are both winners in my book. My info is probably not all that helpful to you, but just my 2 cents. Both are great compact high power EDC type lights.

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for your help everyone :)

So in terms of output, the P2D is noticeably brighter? Or is it one of those lightbox victories?

I don't mind a more defined hotspot at all. I take it the P2D also has more throw? Also, I'm not sure I like the novatac's beam that much... its brightest point is only a pinpoint, so no matter what the range it will be fading outward, so you will always be a little bit blinded by a pinpoint center. Or is the gradient not enough to matter?

How ringy is the P2D's beam? I think this is pretty important in an EDC light, though not as much in the larger ones.

I just can't see anything that justifies an extra $120 for the novatac. It seems like the P2D has a great UI, being able to come on instantly in either lowest or highest mode, and switched off instantly. So novatac's obviously got better, but is it really that much better? I don't know if I have any use for more than instant on-off in lowest or highest level...

OK, I want to figure something out about build quality. I've noticed that people love Surefire's "build quality." But really SF doesn't always have the best - what the followers love is really the "feel." It's designed just right, and works the way they like it. Never mind if it arrives with a broken switch. Is it this sort of thing with novatac, or do they really machine and assemble their parts better than Fenix? I accept that they'll be more rugged w/ their thicker body.

Lastly, I really appreciate the input of all those who are knowledgeable in this field, but really what I'm trying to figure out here is if the novatac's ui and grip is really as addictively perfect as some suggest. So it is a lot more helpful to hear from people who have both light, and like one better for reasons that they tell me.

thanks again for all the input.

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
Like others have said - the Novatac has a bit higher quality. It is also a much more versital light (with that said, it is probably also more fun to "play" with).

The Fenix is a great value and much less expensive and a very good light. It is probably a little easier to carry in pants pocket due to its smaller size and can be a big plus to some.

One important thing to consider::::The Novatac can use the rechargable batteries without problem - the Fenix cannot without loosing its modes. This can be a BIG plus for the Novatac.

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast
wow, thanks for the beamshots digitaleos! i don't know how I missed that when it was posted...

knife boy - actually, that was exactly the kind of factual comparison of the two light's build quality i was looking for. thanks :)

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast
One important thing to consider::::The Novatac can use the rechargable batteries without problem - the Fenix cannot without loosing its modes. This can be a BIG plus for the Novatac.

that's one of its most appealing points to me...

btw, speaking of 1xCR123 lights, I thought Surefires couldn't take rechargeables. Yet light-reviews.com has an L1 runtime w/ an AW 16340. The performance is unusually stunted (in runtime), but behaves in nearly the same fashion. Is he killing the light, or are SFs rechargeable-compatible?

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know why you guys care about the little difference in beam quality so much, the only place you'll notice the difference is on a wall.

precisionworks

Flashaholic
I'll be watching to see if the 120p's start coming down or start showing up on the used market.
Post a wanted ad on B/S/T ... I did that last week & was offered two in near new/perfect condition. My first one cost $159 delivered (eBay), but the second one cost only $125 delivered from a CPF member.

Some people will not post a 'for sale' ad, but will reply to a 'want to buy' ad. CPF is a great place to buy your NovaTac.

But really SF doesn't always have the best (build quality) - what the followers love is really the "feel."
I disagree with that ... as do a large number of police officers, soldiers, etc. who depend on their Surefire to work when needed, no questions asked. Many users, self included, will rate SF & NovaTac at the top on build quality.

My two favorite lights for 'feels just right' are ... the U2 & the 120P:D

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast
Post a wanted ad on B/S/T ... I did that last week & was offered two in near new/perfect condition. My first one cost $159 delivered (eBay), but the second one cost only $125 delivered from a CPF member.

Some people will not post a 'for sale' ad, but will reply to a 'want to buy' ad. CPF is a great place to buy your NovaTac.

I disagree with that ... as do a large number of police officers, soldiers, etc. who depend on their Surefire to work when needed, no questions asked. Many users, self included, will rate SF & NovaTac at the top on build quality.

My two favorite lights for 'feels just right' are ... the U2 & the 120P:D

I hoped that little comment wouldn't provoke someone to leap to Surefire's defence... I don't want to argue, because it's just an analogy.

There's a lot to be said for a great feel, but I think I could also fall in love with the feel of another light, as long as it too had great build quality.

So now I'm sold that novatac has better build, but the P2D really does have better output. The step thing novatac has is nice, but its not worth the huge sacrifice in runtime @ max output (only 30 mins @ 90-100%, compared to 1.25 hrs at a slightly higher output for the P2D).

I'm not ending this, just saying what I think so far... any more opinions welcome :)

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone know if the issues with the Novatac's have been reduced? I know early on there were a lot of reports of problems, and even recently I know someone who dropped their Novatac, first time, and broke the tail switch. The Fenix lights have proven to take a beating, and many drops don't seem to break their tail switches, but they are more protected, and the lights weight less, which gives them an advantage in the breakage department.

I've been keeping my eye on Novatac, I'll probably bite if they come out with a new version with a premium emitter, more output, and fix some of the things that were causing issues.

robo21

Enlightened
Don't forget, not only is the 120P fully programmable and can be set up any way you can think of (and then some) but you don't have to deal with SOS or strobe unless you want to. Those features can remain invisible forever if you don't want them.

This is a big plus for some. Also, keep in mind that output isn't everything. I very seldom need the highest setting on the 120P. I mostly use the lowest settings up to about 85 lumens. The added flexibility, exquisite beam quality, programmability, ability to use RCR batteries, and ruggedness more than make up for a few lumens of output.

Also, the 120P has a lifetime warranty. Another big bonus. And I've never had any issues with mine although Derek Dean had a flickering issue on the lowest settings with his first 120P it was replaced under warranty. His second one has been flawless.

I've tried a couple Fenix lights and they are decent for what they are but they are not nearly in the same league as the 120P. If I had to give up all my lights and keep only one, it would be the 120P for sure. :thumbsup:

Last edited: