Buying Smallest Mini DV Camcorder Available...

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
...and have narrowed it down to the Sony DCR-IP5 and JVC GR-DVP7U. I know about the later versions of both, especially the -DVP9U coming out from JVC a little later (this summer, I believe) and the BlueTooth-capable Sony version, but don't need the additional features and also want to keep the cost relatively reasonable. A quick net search revealed they are selling for as low as high $700's (Sony) to high $600's (JVC).

Any insight on either, or perhaps another brand/model I overlooked? Our kid is growing fast and I am tired of lugging around the Panasonic VHS-C we have now. Just goes to show how rapidly these things progress, it was the smallest at the time.

Thanks in advance for any responses...

Saaby

Flashaholic
Check out the smaller Canons (ZR60, ZR65MC, ZR70MC--I reccomend the 70MC) The 60 starts at about $500 and the 70MC averages about $700. They look VHS-C sized in photos but if you go check them out you'll see they're dinky!

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
Though I have no insite into this years models of JVC DV camcorders, I can say that previous models implemented only a subset the the firewire or "iLink" as sony calls it protocol. I have a friend with an older JVC and it almost works with his computer. He can import into the computer for editing, but that camera will not work for export. So if you're planning on using it with a computer, make sure that JVC have fixed their implementation.

also, you might want to consider the Cannon models. I have an original Elura model and it's absolutely fantastic.

DV is spectacular and getting the stuff into your computer fully digital and not having to mess with a digitizer is worth the extra expense. Course, my Mac has all the necessary connectors built in, if you've got a year or so old PC then you might need a card to get the firewire/iLink port. They cost like $20 or so.

Saaby

Flashaholic
You may want to read this
Turns out the Sony isn't MiniDV but MicroMV. A Sony only format that uses different compression than MiniDV and thus makes it incompatable with lots of digital video editing suites

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Thanks for the input guys, and yes Saaby, Thanks for making me aware of that. I do have a Sony P4 1.7Ghz computer that already came with "MovieShaker", their proprietary software to handle the Sony camcorders' output, so I think I will be good there. I just heard that there are slight compromises in the way Sony's "MV" format handles compression (every 15 frames rather than each frame individually as in DV) that causes the aforementioned incompatibility issues as well as the attenuate "slight" degradation of picture quality. But I do like Sony products, and if James' comments about JVC's subset implementation of Sony's iLink is true (and still unresolved), I may have to finally go with the Sony in the end anyway.

Canon -- hmmm, really should look at all this stuff in person, I guess.

Brock

Flashaholic
Darell and I both have the Canon ZR40. Great little camera. I do all my editing on the PC, but still havent figured out how to get it back to the camera. I can burn VCD's and as soon as I get my tax refund I am getting a DVD burner and be done with it. I couldn't ask for more in a small camera.

PieThatCorner

Enlightened
I have the Canon Elura 40 MiniDV recorder and it's a great piece of electronics, plus you can use it for digital stills (1024x800 res) banked to a SecureDigital card. The Elura 40 is just slightly larger than the MicroDV Sony, but in my opinion, I think the MiniDV is more versatile - it's still the mainstream media format and most available.

The only problem I have with my Canon Elura is the battery runtime. HALF AN HOUR... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif You may experience a similar runtime with the Sony. I had to buy two hi-cap batteries since I use the LCD viewer while recording, so that's a major downside.

My friend has the Canon ZR45 and I really believe that Canon has its optics down right - high quality in all the ZR series - plus, the battery runtime isn't much of an issue, according to him. Plus, as with the Elura, the conversion of tapes from VHS-C is easily accomplished via the connector ports so that you can transfer them almost effortlessly into MiniDV format. I pretty much wish I had gone with the ZR40 or 45 (the ZR50 really isn't worth it).

As far as the JVC - well, my Sony Hi8 (circa 1991) outlasted two JVC camcorders. It was always one problem or another with the JVC's; one replaced under warranty, the other was out of warranty and I still have a tape stuck in the motorized tape holder. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsdown.gif

Good luck on your choice!

-Jim

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
PieThatCorner: Yes, I forgot about the conversion. That is actually why I went with the Cannon in the first place as it can record from video input as well as from the camera so I could more easily convert older tapes and such.

The only thing I WISH my cannon did that it doesn't is serve as a dv bridge. Since it's got both the firewire connector and the video in I was hoping that it would let me capture live video directly through it, but it doesn't do that. When you plug it into the computer it defaults to vcr mode and I can't seem to change that.

The optics are indeed terrific in this camera.

Gotta check out those Cannon models Charlie!

PieThatCorner

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
James S said:

The only thing I WISH my cannon did that it doesn't is serve as a dv bridge. Since it's got both the firewire connector and the video in I was hoping that it would let me capture live video directly through it, but it doesn't do that. When you plug it into the computer it defaults to vcr mode and I can't seem to change that. ...

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, exactly! I gave that a try a number of times, but obviously, the default goes back to VCR mode. My Sony Cybershot is like that too. Once that Firewire gets hooked up, it's back to transfer mode.

Another camcorder that I seriously considered buying was the Hitachi that uses the mini-DVD format. But the media was just too darn expensive, even worse for the re-recordable mini-DVD's, and plus, those mini-DVD's are not compatible with all DVD players. I'm still scratching my head on that one.

-Jim