Why Don't Surefires Re-use Reflectors?

BruiseLee

Enlightened
Why Don\'t Surefires Re-use Reflectors?

Call me a dork, but what is the reason when your Surefire bulb blows, you have to buy a lamp ASSEMBLY and not just a bulb? To save costs why not just replace the bulb and reuse the reflector? I mean, as much as we cut down Maglites here at the forum, at least when their bulbs blow they don't stick you with the cost of a new reflector, just a bulb.

If Surefire didn't have to provide a new reflector with their lamp assemblies, then maybe they could get their bulb prices a bit closer to the $5.00 mark of Streamlight, Pelican, etc. I wouldn't mind paying $10.00 or even $15.00 for a Surefire LA, but $23.00 for a 20 hour P61 LA when Pelican claims their $5.00 M-6 Lithium bulb will last 120 hours....

Then again, maybe it's more profitable for Surefire to sell you a new reflector with every bulb change versus one for the life of your flashlight.

I know in their 2003 catalog they said their bulbs are more expensive due to the fact that they are completely, 100% filled with zenon, or a combination of zenon and halogen. They say these inert gases are super expensive, and that's why their LA's are so expensive. Does this make sense to you guys, or is it just a load of marketing hype?

Bruise

FC.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Why Don\'t Surefires Re-use Reflectors?

Ever heard of E1,E1e,E2,E2e,M3,M3T,M4,M6,A2,9AN,10X,and all THeads ???

Saaby

Flashaholic

Not all the Surefire LAs are reflector+bulb. Many, such as those mentioned above, are just the bulb. I think one of several reasons they do bulb+reflector is because then the bulb can be aligned perfectly to the specific reflector.

I can't imagine Xenon gas is that expensive...

monanza

Flashlight Enthusiast

Many of Surefire's smaller lights are designed to permit weapon mounting which requires shock isolation. For shock isolated lamps you need to guarantee alignment of lamp and reflector. One of the ways Surefire does this is to provide integrated lamp/reflector assemblies. This applies to those lights whose bezel and lamp dimensions are very tight. I do not know if the M2 could support a reflectored bezel but Surefire's engineers apparently think not.

The E*e and A2 use a reflectored bezel because they are not designed for shock isolation. The lamps are squeezed in place between the barrel and the bezel. These lamps are still expensive because they are potted in a plastic base (and hand assembled and aligned if I am not mistaken).

Cheers.

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast

BruiseLee: that's how i felt too initially. however i later realized all higher-end pre-focused lamp assemblies always have an integrated reflector that has to be thrown out. replacement lamps for display case spotlamps are the same, and UKE also has replacement lamps that have integral reflector. i noticed only surefire's older lamp assemblies come with a reflector. newer models like the E series, A2, etc come with with a bulb mounted in a pre-focused assembly that fits in reflector. the bad thing now is that the reflectors are integral to the bezel, and cannot be changed. i'd rather the bezel and reflector be separate units /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Size15's

Flashaholic

With the old style Lamp Assemblies (P60/P90/X80 etc), the reflector is not the only expensive thing being thrown away that still works after the bulb has died...

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast

Al: then what is? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

monanza

Flashlight Enthusiast

Perhaps Surefire can institute a redemption program for failed lamps. I don't know if this would save money or not but recycling the reflectors and springs (if not the lamp base) would at least help the environment. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Cheers.

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast

hmm...can't be the springs; those should be cheaper than the reflector, ditto for the plastic base and epoxy...is it the gas in the bulb? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

monanza: that's a good idea...perhaps you can return dead surefire LAs for a small refund at all authorized surefire dealers. i for one can't bear to actually throw out dead P60s into the trash. seems really wasteful somehow. or perhaps the P60 could be changed into two separate pre-focused bulb assembly and reflector components that have the same form factor as the original P60? that way spoilt reflectors and blown bulbs could be changed separately /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast

I always thought that a rebate, deposit type of program would work. Return a dead P60/61 or X80 and get 10% or something off the price of a new one. Seems a waste to just throw out a prefectly good reflector.

Size15's

Flashaholic

"<font color="green">hmm...can't be the springs; those should be cheaper than the reflector...</font>"

Really? That is one view of course /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif I guess SureFire is all about the details that we don't even consider. Where the electrical path is concerned; no expense is spared. Check out the A2 as the clearest example yet.

I think it would cost more to recycle old Lamp Assemblies (time and effort) then it does to make new ones.

Notice that SureFire Lamp Assemblies have evolved from bulb/reflector/springs through bulb/springs with the Millennium Series to the likes of the E Series, 10X and A2 which have no spring contacts.

Al

Y2Kirk1028

Enlightened

There is a way to recycle the reflectors. Just post it on the buy/sell section on this forum and someone will offer you something for it. I saw recently a couple of members here that was asking to buy used SF lamb assemblies.

Kirk

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *

I need 1 or 2 P60/61/90/91 series assembly!! email me please!

brightnorm

Flashaholic

One perhaps minor but definite advantage of integrated lamp/relector assemblies is very quick lamp changes in the field. You can even quickly replace them in total darkness.

This happened to me once in rural Canada on a dark cloudy night. My much used 2L lamp failed. I carry the 2L in an ordinary SF 6P holster with an extra lamp assemply in the holster bottom. Once I had retrieved the lamp it took only a few seconds to install it in the light.

Try that sometimes with an individual lamp. Obviously it can be done, and lamps take up less space than integrated assemblies. However, I use that holster/lamp assembly approach with all my small lights that take integrated assemblies. The TACM III is a bit problematic because of its wide bezel, but the GALL's HALOLIGHT holster fits it perfectly and provides 2x123 storage as a bonus.

Brightnorm