Ever Use A Self-Defense Spray?

BruiseLee

Enlightened
I just ordered some Fox Labs pepper spray, and was wondering what kind of experiences people have had with sprays. You know Mace, OC, CS, CN, etc.

I have a LEO friend who has 3 occassions to use a spray, and he said it didn't work for him in a single instance. I think he was using S&W MK6, but I'm not sure.

In all three cases the BG's were either drugged up or had histories of mental illness.

Bruise

Ross

Enlightened
I've used CS spray on a 6'3" ex boxer who wanted to hurt me (I'm a police officer in Edinburgh, Scotland) and it worked a treat! dropped him to the floor instantly. We only have access to CS in the UK but, to the best of my knowledge, it has worked most times so far. OC works on dogs as well (CS doesnt) which is why I think we should have access to it as well, but we dont.

Ross

Ross

Enlightened
Just thought I should mention that I am susceptable to CS as well (we have to be sprayed with it during our training) and, while I did get a blast myself (just spray that comes off the sprayed person), you can generally deal with it. Dont forget that once you;ve sprayed the person, you have to get right up close to them to restrain them / take the knife off them etc etc

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bowser, actually if you're not an LEO all you have to do is RUN! Hopefully in the direction away from the sprayee.

Probably better to just plan to do that since they can recover rather quickly when they realize that you haven't actually done them any damage.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello BruiseLee,

The biggest complaint I have heard about the various pepper sprays is that the results from using them is inconsistent. Sometimes it will work great, and other times it just makes the other person mad.

I like James's reply. If you can find a way to leave the conflict quickly, take it.

Another thing to remember is that often when a law enforcement officer is using a "less than lethal" device, he is backed up by someone else with a lethal device.

Tom

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was sprayed for training once.... it stung like hell but it didn't completley imobilize me. I could still move pretty well, but it was in the direction AWAY from the sprayer. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif

I think it was a CS product, but it was quite a while ago. While I think sprays are an okay defense, I wouldn't risk my life to it.

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
The effects do vary greatly from individual to individual. and repeated exposure can build up a tolerance too.

The first time I even got a whiff of the stuff in Basic Training (even before I even entered the enclosure) I thought I was going to die, and was afraid I wouldn't die soon enough. By the time I left the service, I could walk through a high concentration of the stuff (CN or CS) without a significant amount of discomfort, just a slight amount of tearing.

Never had a heavy exposure to OC, but my one slight exposure was uncomfortable but not incapacitating. I imagine a direct shot of it in the face would have put me down.

bigcozy

Enlightened
I have been hit by OC and knocked me on my you-know-what. Totally stopped me from doing anything. My LEO friends have had mixed results. I used some Fox OC on a dog and it only mildly disturbed him. He just started rubbing his nose on the grass but wasn't otherwise affected. I have also heard that OC has been used on bears with great success by Park Service and Game and Fish in Alaska. Hard to believe. Seems to be hit and miss.

I don't want to get sprayed again.

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
i think it's too inconsistent to trust your life on it, that's why i don't carry oc. along with the fact i feel like a girl carrying "mace".

from what i've heard, fox oc is the best stuff around.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
I feel safer if I can avoid physical contact with a BG. Since OC works on the majority of people, and assuming that FOX 5,300,000 SHU is as effective as its reputation and will work on many drugged/drunk individuals, I believe it plus flight is perhaps the best choice for the average civilian.

It would be useful if records were kept on incidents of OC (and other spray) use including brand and type of OC, in a nationally integrated police database. We would know within a few months what worked and what didn't, and this somewhat murky subject could be quickly resolved.

BTW, I once used a very early version of OC spray called REPEL on a large aggressive poodle, yes POODLE, that had already bitten me and it worked with impressive effectiveness. It's a good CAFE story, as much about dog psychology as physiology which I'll tell later on. This is the same unit that emptied out a disco in Salsburg, Austria in an incident that reminded me of one Al(Size 15S) posted awhile back.

Brightnorm