new Fenix L1D has an off center LED

4EN[sic]

Newly Enlightened
I just picked this thing up from the Fenix Store, the led is just slightly off center and makes the light not come from the exact middle of the reflector. Just enough to annoy me a little bit. Do you guys think this is enough of an issue to send back for a replacement? I just feel like that LED should be dead center for that much money.

Last edited:

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
Having an uncentered LED or beam will annoy me enough for me to send it back or fix it myself. But I'm picky like that. The P2D that I just got from the Fenix Store is centered nicely.

4EN[sic]

Newly Enlightened
I'm pretty picky, and it's not like it is just a 12 cheapo walmart light. I just emailed Fenix Store and am going to see if they will let me trade it for a different one. I am sufficiently annoyed and decided it is too far off center for me to even ignore. My L0D is spot on so I figure this must just be a qc slip up of Fenix's part.

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually every Fenix light I have seen in person has been off centre to some extent except the TK10. It doesn't bother me much personally but it is a bit dissapointing that they can't get it right all the time. Anyway it should not affect its use.

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
My replacement L2D is off centre. Annoyingly, the first one I got was perfectly centred, then I reverse polarity'd it, and the replacement isn't centred well at all. It's on my list of things to fix sometime maybe ;)

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast
My replacement L2D is off centre. Annoyingly, the first one I got was perfectly centred, then I reverse polarity'd it, and the replacement isn't centred well at all. It's on my list of things to fix sometime maybe ;)
Jarl my smooth and OP L2D's were both off-centre. There was a visible cree halo in both of them and their beams were identical.

Last week the OP one was in a friends motorbike jacket pocket when he was riding. He accidently left the zip open and it fell out... ...somewhere.
icon9.gif

Its gone for good now but I sold it to him BEFORE he lost it. Thank God!
But what a waste...

These "My Fenix LED is off center" threads have been catching my attention lately.

What do you guys think the trend maybe?

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tony: Ouch. Not good when such a nice light goes missing. Strangely, the first one I had (smooth reflector) didn't have much of a cree ring- it's much more noticeable in the replacement.

handy: I don't know. It could be fenix lights have a tendency towards being off centre, or it could be because they've sold so many, and it's only the few with an off centre LED that get reported about. Alternatively, it could be people are becoming more aware of how off-centredness (lol) affects the beam of a light.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I remember reading last year(?) that Fenix centers the LED according to the die and not the ring, since some Cree XR-Es supposably had domes that weren't perfectly centered.

I'm not sure about now though.