Newbie Question

ianr

Newly Enlightened
Hi all
This is my first post here on CPF,i have an Arc AA which I've had for a while now.I really fancy getting something a bit 'better'.
I've been looking around the forum & the Fenix range seems to get good reviews & feedback for the money.
I'm looking for an 'Allrounder' really,something i can use to take the dog out with but also something that will be quite bright aswell (doesn't have to be at the same time) also use while out camping.I dont know out of the Fenix range which would be best P3D,L2D,L0D or maybe something else.
I dont want a massive light,something that will go in a pocket maybe EDC.

Cheers for any help

Ian

generic808

Enlightened
If it's going to be used for camping, may I suggest a Surefire G2. You can upgrade to an LED with a P60 drop-in for $10 +/- a couple.

:welcome:

StarHalo

Flashaholic

Fenix is a good bang-for-the-buck choice, and which model is best for you comes down to your preferences, namely battery choice and size; a single AAA, a 2 x CR123, etc. There's pros and cons to all of them, but you'll be pleased with the brightness and runtime regardless of which you choose. Plus with the single CR123 models, you can choose your interface, twisty or clicky.

I like the power/longevity of CR123 batteries, and the tiny form factor of a single cell light, with the reliability of a twisty, so the P1D-CE Q5 was a winner for me. If I want the clicky version of the same light, it's the P2D-CE Q5, and the two-cell version is the P3D-CE Q5, etc.

mspeterson

Enlightened
Hi all
This is my first post here on CPF,i have an Arc AA which I've had for a while now.I really fancy getting something a bit 'better'.
I've been looking around the forum & the Fenix range seems to get good reviews & feedback for the money.
I'm looking for an 'Allrounder' really,something i can use to take the dog out with but also something that will be quite bright aswell (doesn't have to be at the same time) also use while out camping.I dont know out of the Fenix range which would be best P3D,L2D,L0D or maybe something else.

Cheers for any help

Ian

I would say get the L1D, uses the same battery as your Arc and will give you a good perspective on what is available today- its bright as well!!!

Then get a Surefire next......

Oh, and keep that Arc!

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF, Ian. Congrats on being one of us lucky ones that have an Arc AA. It's a great old classic (and worth 2-3X its initial selling price), but not up to the performance of the new lights. I think you're on the right track considering one of the Fenix lights. They offer good value in what might be considered a medium priced light. Pick one of the size and battery type you want and it should satisfy. I have three at this time (L2Dce, E0, and E1), and all do well. For camping or dog walking the L2Dce would be good. For EDC the L0Dce is a favorite of many.

Have fun choosing.

Geoff

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The Fenix L1D-CE Q5 would be a good choice. It is also compatible with the L2D and P2D body so you can also run the light on 2 AA and 1 CR123. It might not feel as well built as the Arc though. 8% off coupon at Fenix Store is "CPF8".

For everyday keychain EDC the L0D-CE Q4 might be a better choice.

generic808

Enlightened
That's the one. There's also a G2L (LED) available, but go with the G2 and get a good drop-in.

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want a Fenix look at the T1. IMHO this is the best "all around" light they are selling. It is extreemely bright and extreemely heavy duty.
With the strength of the pound you should be able to get one for under 50 deliverd.
Yaesumofo

Hi all

Cheers for any help

Ian

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
L2D Q5 - if You want to run "normal" recharcheable batts
P3D Q5 - Li-Ion CR123a cells

all the other ones (except for the T1, which is more-or-less an P3D) trade special cons (runtime or brightess) to shorter size
... and thus are better suited for ppl, who already have one of the "normal" (and imho better) & "larger" two-celled light.

(PS: if P3D, my personal con is that a single 18650 is way better than 2 CR123s, while not adding size to the light, so the P3D is out - for me)

gilly

Enlightened
I'm a big fan of the L2D and L1D series lights. You can't go wrong buying an L1D - either the regular CE model or the more expensive and brighter Q5. As an accessory pick up an L2D body for camping, etc. for a longer runtime. Eventually (or now) you can pick up a P2D body/tailcap also. Even buying all three of these items won't "break the bank".

Then you will have (using the same head):

-A very bright EDC in the form of either the L1D (1 x AA) or P2D (1 x CR123)

-The option of longer runtime with the L2D (2 x AA) for camping, trips, etc.

-The great flexibility of using whatever batteries you have laying around or what you can find in any store (who doesn't stock AAs?)

AAs also are great in that you can use plain alkaline, nickel metal hydride rechargeables, or for a bit more money, the long running energizer lithiums. Everyone seems to rave about the CR123s and forgets - AAs come in lithium format too!!!

Don't limit yourself to just CR123 batteries - go for the ability to use both!

Last edited:

russwm

Newly Enlightened
I have an L2D, P3D, and a L0D on my keychain. I think a good solution would be to buy an L1D and an extra L2D body.

As a newbie myself, I hope someone will correct me if I am wrong. I believe the head of the L1D and the L2D are the same. If you do this, you could switch back and forth between the bodies. When you want something smaller for your pocket, use the L1D body. When you want something with more power, use the L2D body.

I really love the L0D as an EDC on my keychain.