Why Does Surefire Drag Its Feet on Next-Gen LED'S?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bringsteen

Newly Enlightened
I don't understand it. I can buy any number of other lights with the latest LED emitters, but Surefire seems to be more than a year behind the curve. Why is this? I want to get a Surefire, but I don't want something that is top-notch quality, with last year's technology.

mspeterson

Enlightened
I don't understand it.

You are correct! With a little searching you will find that your assumptions are false, thus freeing you up to buy that Surefire you want! Congrats and may I suggest the Surefire Backup!!!!:D:party::party::party:

Bringsteen

Newly Enlightened
Did I just experience being a newbie getting kicked in the face by a veteran? Don't get me wrong, I am a Veteran; I am just relatively new to the LED scene.

Thanks anyway, I guess.

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think he meant that SureFire is using current LED technology and has been since mid 2007. I don't see any other companies using SSC P7s right now. To add on to that, SureFire takes a long time to develop a light, plain and simple, and many of those time restrictions come from having a military contract; something SureFire isn't going to give up any time soon.

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
SF isn't a manufacturer that NEEDS to have the best "Flavor of the week" like other companies do, to make money. They take time on R&D and designing a light that will be free of problems. Their products are Top Notch and remain on top of the game by developing product that can be counted on.
Most "consumers" generally do not care what Brand/Model/Bin the flashlight has as long as its bright!
We are a minority here when it comes to the details of our lights. General flashlight users just want it to work and be bright.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Surefire doesn't seem to use the newer LEDs to the limits. But that might be a good thing. That means you could have a longer runtime at a good output. They also test out their lights before bringing them to market.

If you want output, there are plenty of other lights out there that will give you much more performance.

mspeterson

Enlightened
Did I just experience being a newbie getting kicked in the face by a veteran? Don't get me wrong, I am a Veteran; I am just relatively new to the LED scene.

Thanks anyway, I guess.

More of a gentle nudge, next time we'll go a little harder.:kiss:
You asked a loaded question and got the benefit of the doubt. For now.;)
Surefire dosen't release details or specifics on the LED's they use, and you don't know what they use.
The only way that you will understand is to directly compare the lights in hand against other lights. I spent well over a hour yesterday doing just that in a store with over 350 different types of lights in stock, as well as a few of my own brought with to compare....and yes I have the "next-gen leds" that you speak of. I can assure you without doubt, based upon direct comparison, that Surefire has the "next-gen leds" as well.

Daekar

Enlightened
As I understand it, Surefire tend to drive their LEDs at or around spec. This has two immediate benefits: One, this minimizes the heat they have to deal with and prolongs emitter life. Secondly, LEDs are more efficient when driven at spec.

I'd like to repeat everything that's been said in the past about why Surefire doesn't have the latest bins (or at least doesn't advertise it) but I can't type that much. Suffice it to say, if you absolutely have to have to hottest emitter of the week, buy a Fenix... Surefire lights are intended for something else.

BytorJr

Newly Enlightened
Surefire (my speculation) is more interested in an LED that can meet their demanding requirements. One that has been completely tested, not one that "turns on." This testing has a myriad of requirements, since they are probably tested to Mil-Spec or something, and are certainly ISO certified. That testing takes time. I dare say an "operator" in the middle of Afghanistan wouldn't want a light that dies because it takes a small hit on a rock or something.

That's my 0.02.

MSaxatilus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd chime in here but this thread is just, well.......

:dedhorse:

I think if you look through an number of recent threads on Surefire you will find your answer.

MSax

Bringsteen

Newly Enlightened
So what are you going to buy?
I wasn't kidding about the Backup, BTW!!!:devil:

The Backup looks good. I recently spent too much money on various toys to invest in a Surefire right now. However, the explanations about how Surefire LED's aren't overclocked (to use a computer metaphor) have convinced me that when I am ready for my next big flashlight investment, I need to be looking seriously at Surefire.

ag94whoop

Newly Enlightened
I am not going to turn this into a love fest...

however, companies like Surefire measure everything and test everything before they release it

their primary customers are real law enforcement, military or government types who absolutely MUST have reliability as well as good peformance...

inherently they innovate and are a quality company...

they created the tactical market

L.E.D.

Enlightened
Surefire behind the curve, huh? We'll see if that can still be said after the U2B comes out, and yes, I'm talking about the 400 lumen version. Remember, Surefire also rates their lumens out the front, not at the emitter. Should be quite the awesome light..

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Actually, most other current gen LEDs in other lights aren't being over clocked either. They are usually rated up to 1 amp and the most I've seen an LED driver in a flashlight with the current gen LED is 1.2 amp. LEDs take a overdrive without problem, presuming there is enough heatsinking. So don't count the other companies out just yet.

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't understand it. I can buy any number of other lights with the latest LED emitters, but Surefire seems to be more than a year behind the curve. Why is this? I want to get a Surefire, but I don't want something that is top-notch quality, with last year's technology.

I just tonight purchased a Surefire E1B Backup. It is brighter than my Nitecore, P2D-Q5, and Muyshondt Nautilus. I'm not really sure their behind anybody.

Edit: I do not want to create confusion. I do not have a light box and light meter. My opinion above was based on observation alone. The E1B has a noticably brighter hot spot and the P2D has a noticably brighter spill which I didn't notice at first because it was daytime. Which has a more total brightness (spot and spill ) I don't know.

Bill

Last edited:

CandlePowerForumsUser

Enlightened
I just tonight purchased a Surefire E1B Backup. It is brighter than my Nitecore, P2D-Q5, and Muyshondt Nautilus. I'm not really sure their behind anybody.

Bill

Are you sure its brighter than a P2D-Q5? How did you test this? are you running primary cr123 or rcr123?

Thanks

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
The E1B may have a more intense hot spot than a P2D Q5, but the P2D Q5 should have more total output. Depends on what type of beam you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts