newb question -C3 upgrade

Cruiser19

Newly Enlightened
I did some searching around, but could not find a specific answer to my question. I'm hoping some of you guys can help me out:

I have a Surefire C3 that I've had for the past 5 years. I got tired of burning through CR123s, so I just recently got a set of Powerizer 3V rechargeable CR123s. I had them in the flashlight for 2 or 3 days, and the stock P90 on it burned out (I guess I can't complain...it was 5 years old).

I obviously need to replace the P90, but I was thinking about going with at P60L, since it will give me more battery life. My question is, will the P60L be able to hold up to the voltage of the rechargeable powerizers, or will it be too much? I wouldn't want to fry it out. If so, could you guys suggest an alternative. I've read good things about the BOG Q5. Would that hold up better?

I'm new at all this, so any help you could give would be greatly appreciated. Again, excuse my ignorance. Thanks in advance.

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF!

I hear Surefire is going to be issuing a P61L sometime soon. That should be interesting. I've also had good experiences with BugOutGear drop ins. I'm not sure about the voltage issue. You'll need to get that info from someone who uses rechargables. I'm a primary cell kind of guy.

kelmo

Gunner12

Flashaholic
If you want to go for a LED drop-in, check this thread. Many have similar or more output then the P90.

It might have burned out from the extra voltage of the RCR123s. I don't think the P60L will take the extra voltage of three RCR123s. I think you are looking for one with at least a 11v input(3V RCR123s are around 3.6v fully charged).

:welcome:

Cruiser19

Newly Enlightened
cool...thanks for the link. That is a big help

I was looking at this lamp:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.6090

It says its good up to 18V, so it should be no problem with 3 rCR123s, right? Anyone have any experience with this one? Is it any good, or should I spend the extra money and get a Wolfs Eye drop-ins (rated to 13v)?

Gunner12

Flashaholic
It should have no problem running 3 RCR123 batteries.

What do you use the light for? A cheaper drop-in would be fine for an everday use light but I wouldn't use it in a light that you would have to depend something improtant on.

nzgunnie

Enlightened
If you want to go rechargeable with the C3 you need two 17500 cells. Pick up AWs protected variety from the Dealers section here on CPFM.

They will allow you to run the P90, as well as more LED drop ins than you could run on 3x 3.6v RCR123s.