Best way to sell a car/ truck?

DieselTech

Enlightened
Hey all. I'm ready to sell my 2002 Ford truck. I've never sold a vehicle before, so I'm not sure what the best way is. When I bought the truck I found it on AutoTrader. I currently have it listed on 4 diesel enthusiast websites, along with Craigslist. I washed it tonight, and plan to detail the interior tomorrow, then I plan to take some photos and put it back up on AutoTrader.

I've even gone for the classic, 'For Sale' sign in the back window. Are there any tips, tricks, or keys to selling a vehicle quickly?

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it's in good condition and you have pictures to prove it, I can't imagine it taking very long on Craigslist.

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
I search for items similar to what I'm selling on Craigslist and make sure the price I'm asking is within reason. And of course, if I want it to sell fast, I lower the price. I'll also search the want-ads section to see if someone is looking for what I'm selling.

Good luck! :buddies:

DieselTech

Enlightened
Thanks guys. I'm going to put it up on AutoTrader for a bit less than KBB value, and hope it sells soon.

I love my truck, but I'm sick and tired of making payments; especially on something that I never drive.

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
It could be just locally, but in my area KBB values for a used vehicle are generally 15%-25% higher than what the vehicle will actually sell for. I'd definitely look at what similar trucks are going for and price according to that, not KBB. Hope you sell quick and get a good price.

:buddies:

Wattnot

Enlightened
I personally haven't had much luck selling on Autotrader but they do a lot of advertising so I'm sure people go there to search. That and I bought my pickup last year on there. Hit or miss, I'd say.

Skip Ebay completely, unless they have one of their free listing sales.

Craigslist should work and your local paper should work. My recommendation would be to hit those two. You don't need national coverage - just saturate the local online and offline market and you should be good. Make sure you put all 4 pics on Craigslist! And don't underestimate your local paper! I was trying hard to sell a late model minivan and couldn't get any traction. I put a 4 day ad in the largest, local paper and sold it!

Good luck!

Ras_Thavas

Enlightened
I have had great luck selling 2 vehicles on Autotrader.com. Both sold in less than two weeks.