Surefire Optimus and Invictus

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
So with the 2008 catalog here and downloadable, we can find out what these two new SF lights are all about. The names strongly remind me of the Transformers, and I guess this can be the idea--flexibility.

Optimus: 11 settings, from 2 lumens up to 200, the last available in one push of the tailcap as a tactical setting. There is strobe, SOS. And a battery gauge. The beam is supposedly adjustable from spot to flood by twisting the bezel. Pocket clip removable. Steps in lumens: 2, 4, 8, 15, 30, 60, 120, 200. Lowest output gets 100 hrs of runtime. (no info. on runtime for high). Uses 2xCR123A. Microprocessor controlled, etc.

Invictus: big bro to Optimus, but less adaptable. Max lumen at 400 (4-die LED). Also has battery fuel gauge. Same low 2 lumen output plus 100 hrs runtime and 2xCR123A formfactor as Optimus. Lumen settings: 2, 5, 10, 25, 50, 100, 200, 400. Has Strobe and SOS. Microprocessor controlled, removable clip.

Interesting products! Would want to know the runtime on high.
Both lights have magnetically controlled output selector.

BytorJr

Newly Enlightened
My fate is not looking good either:
I'm interested in both Optimus and Invictus. However, I think I'll go with 400lm since I have a few 120 lm lights. I will probably also get a "backup" and that Aluminum Titan may get a calling too.

Now, what to do with my Novatac 120P, HDS U60GT, L5, and C9. I think I'll put the new L61 in the C9. Decisions decisions decisions.

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
Right, prices. Not available yet.

Just checked the Surefire website and the new lights are not listed there yet. I remember from last year that it took several months for anything new (e.g., revealed at the 2007 SHOT show) to become available.

By the way, the L4 is still listed as available for sale on the SF website (I noticed in the 2008 SF catalogue thread some were bummed the L4 was not available in the catalog, so again, it may take some months before L4 becomes truly unavailable as a new product).

One final tidbit, a G3 light is made available in the catalog, like the G2 (so also available in Nitrolon) but with 3xCR123A's and with longer runtime. Can put out 80 lumens for more than 9 hrs, and with optional P61L assembly can hit 200 lumens (no runtime available yet on this output). Plus some kind of high tech special holster for it.

Welding Rod

Newly Enlightened
Looks like I will need an Invictus and and a couple P61L units for sure.... and I was just about to order a couple of P60L units - glad I checked CPF and saw that the P61L was coming out :grin2:

Surefire also has a new 350 lumen LED head for their 900 series weapon lights coming... need that too! Oh, and perhaps their X400 pistol light... and maybe a Arc Light....

They are killing me financially.

magic_elf

Banned
I like how the Optimus STARTS with SOS, and also has strobe.
But I'm sure the SureFire lovers will this UI intuitive anyway ;)

Go Fenix?

fieldops

Flashlight Enthusiast
Definitely the Invictus for me. That thing's going to be amazing! :D

Better start saving the pennies now :grin2:

L.E.D.

Enlightened
Kinda funny, I never thought I would ever see a SureFire with strobe and SOS... L O L..

Mr. Shawn

Enlightened
Re: Surefire's Lights-out Day!

With all these new models coming, do you think Surefire will ever make a light that can stand on its tail without requiring an aftermarket tailcap? I use my Fenix P3D Q5 all the time in candle mode, so I am wondering if Surefire will ever make this option standard.

And, have you ever wondered if Surefire management plans days where all the office lights are shut off and everyone has to do everything by flashlight? I would mark my calendar to visit SF HQ and walk around in the dark to see who would light my path. :whistle: I'll play flashlight tag!!

In the flow,
Mr. Shawn

flash_bang

Enlightened

well, considering that surefire's primary market is LEO's and MIL I doubt that they will have a light that can tailstand as stock because it's less flexible and harder to use with different handgun/flashlight techniques. Besides, it's easier to activate a button with the pad of your thumb rather than the tip of it.

Also, I would love to have the Optimus or Invictus, but It'd have to be like half the price of the U2 for me to have a chance at it :(

Oh well, saving time!

HAGO,
Flash

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast

well, considering that surefire's primary market is LEO's and MIL I doubt that they will have a light that can tailstand as stock because it's less flexible and harder to use with different handgun/flashlight techniques. Besides, it's easier to activate a button with the pad of your thumb rather than the tip of it.

Also, I would love to have the Optimus or Invictus, but It'd have to be like half the price of the U2 for me to have a chance at it :(

Oh well, saving time!

HAGO,
Flash
Just imagine a SureFire ad about this new feature:

- "Whether you are a LEO, a Special Forces operative in the heat of the combat, or chilling in an M1 Abrams cockpit, always count on your SureFire's reliable tailstanding to serve you as a candle" .

Last edited:

flash_bang

Enlightened

Yeah, because everyone knows how useful tailstanding would be in a tank's cockpit (thought it was called a hatch? w/e…) due to the extreme reflectiveness of the interior.

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast

With all these new models coming, do you think Surefire will ever make a light that can stand on its tail without requiring an aftermarket tailcap? I use my Fenix P3D Q5 all the time in candle mode, so I am wondering if Surefire will ever make this option standard.

And, have you ever wondered if Surefire management plans days where all the office lights are shut off and everyone has to do everything by flashlight? I would mark my calendar to visit SF HQ and walk around in the dark to see who would light my path. :whistle: I'll play flashlight tag!!

In the flow,
Mr. Shawn
They already do. The scout weapon lights have tailcaps like that as an option. They don't put put those on regular Surefires because they would make it impossible to do the Surefire grip.

Mash

Enlightened
Was wondering if people eventually manage to use these new ligths with RCRs, how useful the fuel guage would be?
Probably would start on yellow and go down from there?

PS how does the user interface work? Does it turn on when you twist the mode dial, or do you set a power setting, and when the tailcap is pressed lightly it comes on at that setting, and a full press gives you max power?

Last edited: