Fenix T1 or P3d Q5 premium

VegasF6

Flashlight Enthusiast
I dunno how much this has been covered, but please help make a decision :)
Any comparisons to point me at? Or just personal opinions. These frankly appear to be pretty similar lights, just a matter if I want the tactical style or the thinner what I would term "executive" style, huh? And the additional modes of the P3.

Anyhow, any input would be welcome.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The T1 has more output, throws further, and has a forward clickie.

The P3D has more modes, is smaller and probably better for EDC.

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
T1 is twice in weight and volume compare to P3D. So it really depends on how you want to use/carry it.

Masque

Newly Enlightened
The two differences you cite are pretty much it, and they're pretty large differences. The T1 is heavy. The T1 is much larger. The T1 is knurled, and won't be gentle on the enormous pockets you'll need to carry it.

The T1 doesn't have a "low" mode - some would argue that the P3D Q5's "low" isn't a true low mode either, but the T1 has "bright" and "ow" settings, where as the P3D has "flashlight", "big flashlight", "bright", "ow", "why is that thing blinking so slowly" and "Why is that thing blinking somewhat faster but still at a somewhat pointless rate" modes.

I chose the P3D, as I can carry it more places and more times, and I have other lights for those times where I expect the light to take a beating.

medicmerlynn

Newly Enlightened
i chose the p3d q5 before the t1 came out... and to be honest, i'm glad i did. yes, i have played with the t1 (hooked a coworker on CPF and he fell in love with the t1 and picked one up)... but the T1 is made for a different setting than the p3d is. what would you like to do with the light? i edc mine and for my tactical usage i actually have a streamlight TL3 i bought many years ago... since i have the TL3, i can't justify picking up the T1 right now due to the whole budget thing, but if it weren't a problem, i'm sure i'd pick up both. but for the most part, the p3d q5 is the most ridiculously useful flashlight i've ever owned, played with, or even seen... so, do like everyone else and pick one up! i promise you won't be disappointed... :naughty:

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have thought about the differences between these two flashlights. The difference in light output is likely unnoticable without a careful side-by-side comparison. The P3d is much more portable. But portability isn't the only issue to take in consider except from reliablity.

I like my L1D Q5. This flashlight only have one disadvantage: it's not comfortable to hold. It,s too thin for the hand and the surface is quite slipper. The P3D has exactly the same shape and diameter, just a bit longer. Before I got the L1D I considered the P3D to be a more practical choice because nearly the same brightness but in a much smaller format. Now I think I would go for the T1.

Regards, Patric

cal..45

Enlightened
last night I visited a friend who owns the T1 and we played alot around with our flashlights. maybe its just me, but the T1 just cannot convince me. like I wrote in another thread, its neither fish nor fowl for me. for an EDC lamp its too big in my opinion (the head is ridiculous) and for a serious thrower its too weak (big head but small refector). its nevertheless a good light but in my opinion it just doesn't make it right the one way, nor the other.

if I had to choose between the T1 and the P3D i would undoubetly choose the P3D, but its not a perfect EDC light in my opinion either (still too big). I would definetaly go for the P2D (which I actually did) and just love it. we compared the P2D against the T1 last night and yes, the T1 will of course throw farer a bit because of its more focused beam. but for everything within a range of 50 meters the difference is marginal and considered the weight and size of those two lamps the P2D wins with flying colours, hands down.

regards, holger

(p.s. if you want a light seriously throwing beyond 50meters get a DBS, MRV or A8/A9, just my 2 cents)

Last edited:

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a P3D and like that the light is very small for as much battery reserve and output it has. It is not much bigger than a lot of single cell lights and smaller than many. It is easy to carry in the pocket. The T1 would require a holster. The P3D really takes what it does and puts it into one of the most compact packages for a commercial light.

VegasF6

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't understand why I am not notified by email fo these replies. Sorry to take so long. Anyhow, you all make great points. I don't think I need another tactical light, the P3D sounds like a better choice for me. I certainly appreciate all the help making my decision.

Ryanrpm

Enlightened
I do not own the P3D...but I do own the T1. I carry it around all day every day...in my back pocket, and it doesn't bother me one bit. The 2 levels of brightness work excellent for every application I use it for. Plus, it sure can take some abuse(not that I abuse it...), which means it should be around for a long time.

When I was considering my first expensive flashlight(T1)...it came down to the 2 levels, the forward clicky, the runtime, and the lumens. Even though the T1 is not a 'serious' thrower, it is the best thrower in the Fenix family, correct?

Anyways, I'm sure you'll be happy whichever of these you choose. :grin2:

Shreknow91

Enlightened
.....snip..... but the T1 has "bright" and "ow" settings, where as the P3D has "flashlight", "big flashlight", "bright", "ow", "why is that thing blinking so slowly" and "Why is that thing blinking somewhat faster but still at a somewhat pointless rate" modes. ...snip...

sorry for the off topic, but can i use this in my sig line?

it just made me :crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup: