loose P1d reflector

SaVaGe

Enlightened
how do I tighten the reflector on the P1D CE Q5? I just received it from Fenix store 2 days ago. The emitter is off center and just for giggles, I shook it and bumped it on my HAND and next thing you know the emitter is on center. the bumping on the hand is more like a hard shake. Also, theres a flaw on the olive coating(head). I dont think i'll return it for a new one as long as it wouldnt have any effect on the life of the emitter.

Should i return it for a new one?

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, you should return it, unless you want to use this as a chance to do your own modifications. Leave it like that until R2/3/4 emitters become available and try your own mod.

Valpo Hawkeye

Flashlight Enthusiast
I noticed the same thing on my natural P1D Q5. Emitter was only barely off center until today when I found it was really off center. So I tapped it on my palm and now it's perfectly centered. I'm not sure what to do either.

Frank_Zuccarini

Newly Enlightened
Gentlemen, from your descriptions, it's not clear to me if the light engine module is loose (unscrewable) within the head, or if the LED proper is not securely glued to the light engine.

If the LED has come unglued, it needs to be reattached, but that entails unscrewing (removing) the light engine from the head. If the light engine is simply loose (unscrewable from the head) consider yourself lucky, as this will allow easier future upgrading. In that case, just unscrew the light engine from the head, clean the threads, and apply a little low or medium strength 'thread locker' before reassembly. This will hold it in place, but allow easy future removal if you desire to upgrade the LED.

Good luck................Frank

Valpo Hawkeye

Flashlight Enthusiast
Neither of those is the case. The LED is attached fine and the head is screwed in tight. The reflector itself, only the reflector, can move inside the head.

Frank_Zuccarini

Newly Enlightened
Gee, well if the reflector can move, then I think that the light engine module was not screwed in tightly enough before it was glued in place.

In my experience, the reflector is screwed in until it is snug against the lens's o-ring. Then, the light engine is screwed in until it is tight against the reflector. Since the light engine is generally glued in place, the reflector cannot back out.

I believe that you will have to loosen and then tighten the light engine to correct this problem.

Good luck................Frank

Valpo Hawkeye

Flashlight Enthusiast
I should have been more clear. I should not have said that the light engine is screwed in tight, but rather that it is not loose, or in other words, it's thread locked in place. Since there are only threads showing for the light-engine housing, there's nothing really useful to hold on to or wrench without ruining the threads in order to disassemble and reassemble.