So I dropped my Arc AAA pretty hard...

Valpo Hawkeye

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had my hands really full and was in a hurry to get to work. I was fumbling to get my keys and in my effort to catch them I actually threw them downward. Well, my Arc bounced off the edge of the concrete footer. I figured there would be some pretty decent scraping, if not a dent. When I picked the light up, sure enough there was a big mark going from head down the tube. However, to my surprise, it was just concrete in the knurling, and it washed out.

My Arc actually "filed" down concrete without a mark to show for it. Pretty incredible quality, if you ask me.

Burgess

Flashaholic
I'm impressed ! :thumbsup:

From the title of your thread, i admit i expected Bad News.

Glad to see yer' Arc won the battle. :)

Was it a new DS model ?

Any ill effects on the battery ?

_

Valpo Hawkeye

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, it's a DS. Battery's okay too. I've only had a battery fail from a drop once and it was a CR123. I dropped an Inova XO and it went dark. I figured the light died, but actually one of the cells failed. I'm assuming the "circuit" opened because the cell read 0v.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
i was pitching (not throwing, more like free advertising for peter) my arc to my cousin yesterday, he wanted to spike it into the ground, i told him go ahead, although i was hoping he wouldnt, cos i knew it would surivive, just not sure in what shape the finish would be in..not too worried now :crackup:

Crenshaw

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
The best knurling / anodizing that I have ever had the pleasure of handling in a light. Tough as nails but refined looking and feeling. I have had a similar experience where mine fell on concrete... it is a pretty satisfying feeling to wipe the concrete off of the flashlight:cool:

Bodieism

Newly Enlightened
I did the same thing a few days ago while working on my hot water heater, except mine was on and it went dark. I went to catch my Arc when I dropped it but I ended up basically slapping it into the ground. Needless to say I said a few colorful metaphors when it hit and ground and went off. After I picked it up I turned the head and it came right back on lol. I guess it hit the ground so hard it actually came unscrewed. I don't see marks or dents in mine either :twothumbs

BT132435

Newly Enlightened
I have an Arc AAA Standard edition that's been on my keychain since 2002/2003 and it still has about 60% of it's original HA-II left.

err0r

Newly Enlightened
I did the same thing a few days ago while working on my hot water heater, except mine was on and it went dark. I went to catch my Arc when I dropped it but I ended up basically slapping it into the ground. Needless to say I said a few colorful metaphors when it hit and ground and went off. After I picked it up I turned the head and it came right back on lol. I guess it hit the ground so hard it actually came unscrewed. I don't see marks or dents in mine either :twothumbs

It's possible that the battery contact dinted in a little from the impact - this would require another 1/2 turn or so of the head to make good contact with the dinted cell.

EDIT: I must stress that I mean that the damage probably happened to the battery, not the light.