Emitter & reflector types?

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Is there a general consensus as to which emitters work better in a smooth reflector?... and conversely which work best in orange peel types?

SafetyBob

Enlightened
It really depends on what you want out of your light. Generally, I and others have found the Seoul LED's work very nicely in a light orange peel reflector....it gives a very nice amount of spill without a huge, bright center. Works best for most flashlight useage around house, garage...enclosed spaces. Wives tend to light the big spill. They equate powerful flashlight to large spill.

Flashaholics love throw. We love to make our lights go the absolute maximum distance possible. The Cree LED's work best for this with a smooth reflector. The Cree LED basically puts most of it's light out the "front end" on the emmiter, where the Seoul's just put it our every where.

What do I like best. Around the house, working on car, searching for lost flashlight parts in the kitchen....I love my Seouls in my nice sized 2C M@glites running off a VIP (no longer available) or a MicroPuck SHO or two. Simple, cheap, easy to build.......and (big plus) wife is starting to warm up to them.

Bob E.