Using rechargeable batteries in my SureFire G2?

Herpn

Newly Enlightened
I dont think it will work but What If I tried to use 750mAh RCR123A 3.0V batteries in my flashlight? I see there is a rechargeable kit for this light I think it is $89.00 You can buy a rechargeable kit with 2 batteries from some sites for less than $20. I have heard that this might overdrive the bulb?

Thanks in advance.
Chuck

pbs357

Enlightened
Your best bet for a rechargeable, incandescent G2 setup is to use a 17670 cell and a Lumens Factory 3.7v lamp assembly. The problem with using 2 x 3v cells is that li-ion cells when freshly charged have a greater voltage. For example, the more common 3.7v li-ion cells are around 4.2v fresh off the charger, so chances are you'll have more than 6v and will fry your G2's P60 or P61 lamp.

If you're open to LED, there is a world of drop-in lamp assemblies that will run a variety of voltages. Many of them can handle anything from 1 x 17670, 2 x cr123 primary cells, and/or 2 x rcr123 rechargeables. Plus, LEDs are more efficient than incandescent assemblies so depending on the model you will either get much more runtime or much more lumens (depending on the model) vs. the stock P60. This advantage means you can use whatever rechargeable setup (1x17670 or 2xrcr123), and also keep spare primary 123's in the car, or in your bag to reload the light if your rechargeables run out - and you won't have to change the lamp.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

redbird

Enlightened
I too am questioning what and if rechargables will work. I have a E2L with a OpticsHQ head on it and was trying to power it with a Pila but no go.

What batteries will work in this mod. I have a Surefire G2 with their LED assembly that works with the Pila but not in the E2

Herpn

Newly Enlightened
OK Thanks! I have the the P60 and the P61 but think that the P60 is shot. I also have the Fenix P3D and was hoping to keep my G2 with the P61 Incandecent since I use this light for throw. I think I will loose this throw if I change it to LED?

"use a 17670 cell and a Lumens Factory 3.7v lamp assembly."

Where do yo suggest I get these from?

Also can IO use the 750mAh RCR123A 3.0V batteries in my FenixP3D?

Thanks for all the help.

pbs357

Enlightened
You can get the Lumens Factory 3.7v incandescent lamp from lighthound.com. Very reputable company, I've dealt with them many times. :thumbsup: FYI, they claim 190 lumens from this lamp so it should be at least as bright as your P61, but rechargeable. Free lumens! Oh hey, if you go this route, just MAKE SURE not to accidentally put in 2 cr123's in behind this lamp, because 6v will likely fry the bulb.

As for the LED options, go to the LED section and there is a link stickied at the top regarding P60 sized drop-ins. The most popular ones are from Bugout Gear, Malkoff Devices, and Dereelight but there are lots of choices. Even "bargain" units at $12 shipped, although their quality is sometimes questionable. Regardless, all of them throw much farther than my P61 ever did! Note that most of these beams are designed for strong throw with good spill, and to me don't seem to have quite as much wide flood as my P60 and P61 does. I guess it's a bit of a tradeoff.

Last edited:

Lighthouse one

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't use the 3.0 volts recharg. with a p-60 style incan...my buddy at work flashed his trying it. We now both have 3.7 volt wolf eyes factory incan drop ins with either a 17650 or 18650- depending on the light. Works great.

jbviau

Enlightened
"use a 17670 cell and a Lumens Factory 3.7v lamp assembly."

Where do yo suggest I get these from?

I got the 17670 I use in my G2 from AW in the dealer's corner. Great service and fast shipping!

Herpn

Newly Enlightened
Thanks alot for all the info this is a BIG help. I will be looking into the other lamps and batteries now.

How about this?

Can I use the 750mAh RCR123A 3.0V batteries in my FenixP3D? I ask because I already 6 of these with a recharger.. I was hoping that I could use them. Since the Fenix is a Led will it be OK or might i fry it?

Thanks again.
Chuck

Last edited:

roymail

Enlightened
pbs357 is right... take his advice.

I have a SF 6P and I replaced the incandescent lamp with a #6090 led module from DealExtreme. It's cheap $10 but I would recommend it as a first led drop in module. Very bright and white. But pbs357 is right on all points. Lots of options. You'll be amazed as you learn about all the possibilities. And, yes, use a AW 17670 li-ion that you can get at Lighthound. Also, I'd suggest to contact John at Lighthound with any questions. Good luck! :wave:

Nulllogik

Newly Enlightened
I use two AW 3.6V RCR 123's in my G2L.

But i use a Lumens factory EO-9.

Just dont use a 6V lamp.
And dont leave it on for too long, i deformed the lexan lens...

EDIT: i use the Tenergy 3V rechargables in my P2D and everything works like normal.

jbviau

Enlightened
I use two AW 3.6V RCR 123's in my G2L.

But i use a Lumens factory EO-9.

Just dont use a 6V lamp.
And dont leave it on for too long, i deformed the lexan lens...

EDIT: i use the Tenergy 3V rechargables in my P2D and everything works like normal.

Isn't running an EO-9 on 2 RCR123s really hard on the batteries? Think I read mdocod saying something to that effect, maybe in his guide (linked below)...

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/161536

Last edited:

Nulllogik

Newly Enlightened
Isn't running an EO-9 on 2 RCR123s really hard on the batteries? Think I read mdocod saying something to that effect, maybe in his guide...

Hmm... Probably.
But i cant leave it on for too long yet (i have to replace the lens).
But when i did deform the lens, i checked the batteries and they werent hot.

If that is of concern, OP should get a ES-9:

http://www.lighthound.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2845

Also, i dont think the Tenergy 3V's could run the P61. I think it was too much of a draw... But im a noob and this is a fairly uneducated guess.

Latest posts