Fenix Questionnaire

gadgetnerd

Enlightened
Got an email today from Lighthound with a questionnaire to be sent back to Fenix. Most of it was multi choice but they did have a comments for improvements right at the end. Mine were:

1 - Proper 1 lm low (absolutely critical)
2 - Ditch the SOS (replace with 1 lm low!)
3 - Improve the beam quality

I'm pretty happy with fenix torches in general: build quality, LED tech, UI, value for money. Let's hope fenix actually respond to the answers, and make their torches even better.

So did you get the questionnaire, and what did you put down?

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got an email today from Lighthound with a questionnaire to be sent back to Fenix. Most of it was multi choice but they did have a comments for improvements right at the end. Mine were:

1 - Proper 1 lm low (absolutely critical)
2 - Ditch the SOS (replace with 1 lm low!)
3 - Improve the beam quality

I'm pretty happy with fenix torches in general: build quality, LED tech, UI, value for money. Let's hope fenix actually respond to the answers, and make their torches even better.

So did you get the questionnaire, and what did you put down?

All that, plus a suitable replacement for the L*T V2.0s with forward clicky. I think they are already working on this though.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I only own 2 Fenix models. I'm happy with my L0D as is.

The P3D is a different story. This is possibly the most compact 2xCR123 light on the market. (I own a Streamlight NF-2 model. Without the grip-ring, it is very compact. The P3D beats it in that department).

This compact light is screaming for a pocket-carry clip. Mine has a natural finish, not as slick as the black finish. But still, it needs some checkering around the barrel. The reverse-clickie is too soft. I've had the light turn on accidentally, twice. A stiffer, forward-clickie would be better. Get rid of SOS mode. Has anyone actually ever used it, and been rescued because of it?

One minor suggestion would be, the option of having a forward-clickie that protrudes above the tailcap. Some of us can live without the tail standing ability.

Last edited:

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
lower low has been asked for since the Fenixes came out and by far more persons than other "changes" in UI or switch action --> which have been made!

but is there a lower low?
:(
same goes for 18650 as a power source

thats why I modded a SF 6p and Innova T1 in april last year and am very happy with them.
Not going to buy any Fenix till lower low and/or 18650 happens

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast
lower low has been asked for since the Fenixes came out and by far more persons than other "changes" in UI or switch action --> which have been made!

but is there a lower low?
:(
same goes for 18650 as a power source

thats why I modded a SF 6p and Innova T1 in april last year and am very happy with them.
Not going to buy any Fenix till lower low and/or 18650 happens

I agree.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got the email from hound too, but im confused...didnt we already do this for fenix-store?

Crenshaw

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
I learned something interesting about Cree's and Fenix. Fenix's low drives the Cree at around 25mA, and 25mA is where the Cree XR-E are at the top of their efficiency, I think 150 lumens per watt?

Running the Cree at a lower current is actually less efficient, but it would be nice to have a lower low.

2benlightened

Newly Enlightened
+1 vote for a lower low (my preference would be 3 lumens) which I've said before on another thread.

Also said before... no need to get rid of any extraneous settings like SOS. If you keep the bezel on regular setting, but only 1/8th turn away from the "turbo" setting, you can walk around with the low, med or high setting; when ready to cycle back to low, don't cycle through the SOS using the tail switch; side press the bezel (which activates turbo/high mode for a sec) and then let go... back to low you go without hitting SOS.

I use this all the time... leave it on low for walking, and then side-pressing for a few seconds to spot something in the distance with the turbo... bypassing all of the other settings (but they are still there if you should happen to need them).

(this obviously applies to the tail-switch fenixes, not the twistys)

Good for you, Fenix, for asking us our opinions... hope you listen to our suggestions!

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ive had a few,my main 2 gripes would be tint(QC)I returned one that was really green.But mainly not supporting rcr lions.Losing multi function levels when using Lions has been my reason for not buying.I gort a friend 2 with rebel,I was impressed with tint and output.