Mag switch -- re-install rubber?

K9-Handler

Newly Enlightened
OK. Everyone tells/shows how to get the switch out of a M*g body by removing the rubber button cover first.
Then they get so wound up telling about how great their mod came out that they don't say how the rubber switch cover goes back on! It's like one of those directions you read that says, "assembly is the reverse of disassembly...":whistle:

I got the switch cut down and reinstalled, leads soldered on, heat sink and LED installed....
And the stupid rubber thingy won't go back in and stay!:hairpull: I've tried using a small flat-blade screwdriver to press the edges back in, but they won't go.

Is there some kind of trick to this seemingly simple task?

K9-Handler

mr.squatch

Enlightened
Lol, it goes right back in if you have the switch centered up in the hole. Maybe you're off center a bit? I've had more hassle getting the switch centered than I have getting the boot back in. Good luck

g

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's not that difficult.

You just insert it like so (see pic 1), then press the two ends of the open side together (pic 2) until the middle of it seats (pic 3).

Pic 1
Photo0109sm.jpg

Pic 2 - I know, not very apparent
Photo0110sm.jpg

Pic 3
Photo0111sm.jpg

Sway

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try it with the switch in the "on" position and see how that works……

Later
Kelly

will

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Maglite 'C' flashlights have a switch cover with a panther head embossed on them. They go in one of two ways to make sure the head faces the correct way. The 'D' lights switch cover can go in any way. Make sure the switch is centered in the opening.

SafetyBob

Enlightened
Will beat me to it. You didn't mention if it was a C flashlight, but that is what it must be if you can't get it to go on.

To repeat, the sides of the C have a high and a low side that you need to line up with the flashlight. And don't feel stupid, it took me around five minutes of swearing, then five minutes of actual careful examination to finally solve it.

Welcome to the grand world of flashlight modding!! It only get's worse from here!! LOL.

Worse in a good way. Many more challanges ahead as you get to more complicated mods. Carefully read all the threads you can find about the mod you are going to undertake in the future and you should have most of the mistakes that can be made already introduced to you so you don't have to make them too. That has saved my butt numerous times.

Bob E.

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Make sure the cat is looking to the right if you see the light from the top and pointing away from you.

Try to feel the hole where the pin used to go, that is the center, and try inserting it with the switch in the on position ( With no batteries)

HTH
AlexGT

rizky_p

Flashlight Enthusiast
Everywhere i can see a rubber seals on Maglite D/C so they seems to be water-tight but how water-tight is the switch rubber seal it seams to be the weaker link...

will

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think they are watertight, just water resistant. That little cover over the switch is the weakest part.

will

Flashlight Enthusiast
To me - water resistant means you can get it wet, water proof means under water, the ability to take a dunking.

From the Maglite site.
"Because when conditions are less than perfect a flashlight shouldn't be. That's why Mag Instrument flashlights are really in their element in rain, snow, mud and even moisture. Which means one can take them camping, hiking, sking, sailing, even to the beach without worry. What's more the Mini Maglite® flashlight has developed a reputation as an excellent travel companion or gift idea."

rizky_p

Flashlight Enthusiast
To me - water resistant means you can get it wet, water proof means under water, the ability to take a dunking.

From the Maglite site.
"Because when conditions are less than perfect a flashlight shouldn't be. That's why Mag Instrument flashlights are really in their element in rain, snow, mud and even moisture. Which means one can take them camping, hiking, sking, sailing, even to the beach without worry. What's more the Mini Maglite® flashlight has developed a reputation as an excellent travel companion or gift idea."

Thanks Will..:crackup: