Diesel guys, watch out

bigcozy

Enlightened
Watch out only if you run off road diesel. A kid that works for me and is a big rodeo guy just came back from Oklahoma along I-40. The police were ready for all those cowboys in their one ton pickups and were pulling them over right outside the arena and checking their tanks for dye. First I have heard of it, but he told me that it has happened to him before. Watch out in OK.

Just a heads up.

Bill.H

Enlightened
tkl,

Some diesel fuel meant for farm use and heating oil is dyed. There's no road tax on this, so it's much cheaper. If you're caught using this in a motor vehicle there are extensive (usually, they vary from state to state) fines.

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
In some places it is called "farm diesel". It is much cheaper than normal diesel even though it's the same except for the dye. Some if not all taxes are removed from farm diesel to help the farmers and because the equipment is not used on the road. It is a very big fine to get caught using it off the farm. It has been around a long time and I don't believe you will ever see it at a pump. It is usually delivered to the farmer to store in a tank. I know a couple of people that have been caught using it in their truck but I can't remember the amount of the fine. In the old days you could sometimes get off if you had two fuel tanks, one filled with farm and one with regular diesel. I don't think that flies anymore so if you use it in your truck on the farm you had better empty your tank before hitting the road.

2dogs

Enlightened
In Kali we have (that I know of)
1. on road diesel (undyed)
2. off road diesel
3. marine diesel
4. commercial marine diesel
5. bio diesel ( a very few sources)
In addition keresene in dyed to prevent it being used as MV fuel. There is talk of figuring a way to tax used fryer oil so the State can get a cut.
In England the cops sniff the exhaust of diesels to find out if they are running untaxed fryer oil. BIG fines from what I've read.
"Four Wheeler" this month has a couple small articles for us diesel heads including a peak at a military diesel hybrid truck.