Has anyone made a Cree LED light that is strictly super-runtime?

Jasmes

Enlightened
I'm as big a fan of huge output as anyone, but I'm also a sucker for lights that have a certain "survivor" aspect to them... like my X5 being utterly un-destroyable, or my L2D's "I never need new batteries... no seriously. I never do." attitude when I use it on low... this got me wondering, I see tons of Cree flashlights that are multi-level, but I don't see any lights or P60 drop-ins that do nothing but shoot out 10-30 lumens for approximately forever, without offering high output modes as well.

Am I the only person that would want such a thing? Maybe I should just deal with having multi-click interfaces, but I'd still really like to see a little sturdy torch or drop-in whose main selling point is the simple fact that it never stops shining.

Flight_Deck

Enlightened
Providing you're looking for flood, the Zebralight will put out about 2.5 lumens for a total of about 3.5 day. Pretty hard to beat that!

Jasmes

Enlightened
Providing you're looking for flood, the Zebralight will put out about 2.5 lumens for a total of about 3.5 day. Pretty hard to beat that!

*Sees "Sold Out" on website.*

*...slowly puts away credit card.*

That is a delightful little light and I must acquire one. :twothumbs

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
My immediate thought on this was also the Zebralight. And, the Proton Pro ramped down to its lowest level will give over 200 hours.

Geoff

Jasmes

Enlightened
My immediate thought on this was also the Zebralight. And, the Proton Pro ramped down to its lowest level will give over 200 hours.

Geoff

I'm certainly going to wind up with a Zebralight, but I'd still just like a light without any modes or anything other than "on" that is low output high runtime. I guess its just me being picky. :whistle:

TOTC

Newly Enlightened
I'm certainly going to wind up with a Zebralight, but I'd still just like a light without any modes or anything other than "on" that is low output high runtime. I guess its just me being picky. :whistle:
No, it's not just you being picky: I would like a light with that design as well. I am assuming that a cree light designed solely around a long runtime with low output would be more efficient than a multi-level light offering a low mode. With a lithium primary, such a light would be great for throwing in any number of "kits" that people keep around (medical bag, bug out bag, etc.)

BTW, I have a Zebra and yes you should definitely get one when they are back in stock :thumbsup:

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
You can get 100 hours of 9 lumens with a really good 5mm LED and a E2 lithium. Not cree but 100% KISS in a twisty body.

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm as big a fan of huge output as anyone, but I'm also a sucker for lights that have a certain "survivor" aspect to them...Maybe I should just deal with having multi-click interfaces...
My HDS U60 has been doing a runtime test on low level for six weeks, and it's still running. That's right -- constantly on for six weeks.

It's modified with an SSC P4 emitter, so it's somewhat brighter than stock, I'd estimate about 0.2 lumens. It doesn't sound like much but it's plenty bright enough to see around a dark room at night with dark adapted eyes.

Used only 8 hr a night, that would last about four months.

Re the "multi-click interface", it can easily be programmed to a simple on/off interface -- just set the four output levels to the same point.

I assume the Novatac 120P is similar, so you can buy this capability right now.

If you want maximum ruggedness, the upcoming HDS Twisty gives very long runtime on low, coupled with a simple twist interface and robust package: http://www.hdssystems.com/Twisty.html

TOTC

Newly Enlightened
How much abuse do you figure those things can take?
I figure anything I can throw at it under realistic use, especially considering it has so little mass to fly around if I drop/throw it. It probably won't stand up to some sort of crushing device, but water, drops, and bumps shouldn't be a problem.

My HDS U60 has been doing a runtime test on low level for six weeks, and it's still running. That's right -- constantly on for six weeks.
That's amazing!

spoonrobot

Enlightened
How much abuse do you figure those things can take?

RE: The Zebralight.

Be aware that the LED window is plastic and is unshielded in stock form. I dropped mine once causing a small ding in the plastic. It affects the beam pattern when used close up but hasn't been too much of an issue for me since I use it mainly at medium distances outside.

I recommend using the supplied beam shaper to shield the window when carried and not in use. A simple twist and the window is exposed.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
when a multilevel light can do both:
bright light - "short" runtime and
dim light - looooong runtime

Why build one that can do just dim?
:thinking:

alanagnostic

Enlightened
I'd look at Peak LED models. Most are single mode and tough as nails...brass, aluminum, stainless steel....twist to turn on/off. Some are offered with a P4 emitter for long runtime.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
The old Cree single mode Surefire E1L can do 30 lumens for 10 hours, otherwise I'd go with Peak.

precisionworks

Flashaholic
I assume the Novatac 120P is similar
It is ... the 120P uses the SSC P4 (similar to the Cree XR-E). When set on .30 lumens (which is brighter than you might think), runtime is 240 hours. IMO, .30 is too bright, mine is set for .12, which is more than enough for navigating in the dark.

I am assuming that a cree light designed solely around a long runtime with low output would be more efficient than a multi-level light offering a low mode.
For a multimode using the same emitter with pulse width modulation (PWM) to control brightness, and running the same battery or batteries, runtimes should be identical. The microchip used in the multimode lights is hardly any different than those used in single mode, reduced output lights. The single output light would also use PWM to limit light output, so it really is an apples to apples comparison.

You simply lose the ability to have higher output.

Last edited:

Anarchocap

Enlightened
I'm as big a fan of huge output as anyone, but I'm also a sucker for lights that have a certain "survivor" aspect to them... like my X5 being utterly un-destroyable, or my L2D's "I never need new batteries... no seriously. I never do." attitude when I use it on low... this got me wondering, I see tons of Cree flashlights that are multi-level, but I don't see any lights or P60 drop-ins that do nothing but shoot out 10-30 lumens for approximately forever, without offering high output modes as well.

Am I the only person that would want such a thing? Maybe I should just deal with having multi-click interfaces, but I'd still really like to see a little sturdy torch or drop-in whose main selling point is the simple fact that it never stops shining.

I've not seen any low level only Cree based lights. And, I'm quite fed up with any multi-level light interface that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. I don't know what it is with manufacturers, but they have no idea what a LOW mode really is. We've got 120 lumen lights with 30 lumen lows. 30 Lumens were the HIGH modes on lights not more than 2 years ago.

I've resigned myself to Nichia based 5mm lights for low levels and long run-times and Cree based lights for the high levels. I'm done with multi-level lights for the time being. My low level long running lights are Infinity Ultras with Red Nichias.

Jasmes

Enlightened
when a multilevel light can do both:
bright light - "short" runtime and
dim light - looooong runtime

Why build one that can do just dim?
:thinking:

The same reason my doctor doesn't know how to tap dance. He could learn... but why? I just want him to fix me.

Focused, purpose built = good.

Fripperies = bad.

TOTC

Newly Enlightened
Focused, purpose built = good.
Fripperies = bad.
Even though I own and use multi-level lights all the time, I do have a warm place in my heart for KISS tools, going along with what Jasmes is saying.

Also, my interest in a runtime optimized light without a high level is that I would never, ever, ever be tempted to burn through part of the battery on high. I would never say to myself "Oh, it's OK to use this thing on high for a while, I'll replace the battery later." If the light only works on low mode that runs forever, then the light always runs forever :naughty:

Like I said, I own and use multi-level lights. I also own multi-tools, but that doesn't mean that I don't prefer to use task-specific tools when I find them appropriate.

For a multimode using the same emitter with pulse width modulation (PWM) to control brightness, and running the same battery or batteries, runtimes should be identical. The microchip used in the multimode lights is hardly any different than those used in single mode, reduced output lights. The single output light would also use PWM to limit light output, so it really is an apples to apples comparison.
Well, just for the record, I wouldn't want the hypothetical low-only light to use PWM as its method of controlling brightness. I would vastly prefer constant current regulation. I don't know if that changes the question of chip/circuitry optimization, but I figure it's worth mentioning.

You simply lose the ability to have higher output.
Even if that's the only difference between the two "apples," it still sounds like a difference that I like :thumbsup:

fxstsb

Newly Enlightened

It's modified with an SSC P4 emitter, so it's somewhat brighter than stock, I'd estimate about 0.2 lumens. It doesn't sound like much but it's plenty bright enough to see around a dark room at night with dark adapted eyes.

Used only 8 hr a night, that would last about four months.

Re the "multi-click interface", it can easily be programmed to a simple on/off interface -- just set the four output levels to the same point.

I assume the Novatac 120P is similar, so you can buy this capability right now.

If you want maximum ruggedness, the upcoming HDS Twisty gives very long runtime on low, coupled with a simple twist interface and robust package: http://www.hdssystems.com/Twisty.html
Are you using a resistor in series with the LED?