Disassembly of River Rock 1.5W 2C

MrBaz

Newly Enlightened
I just picked up this nifty little light. For the life of me, I cannot get the top part of this thing apart. Is there any secret?

kramer5150

Flashaholic
I tried boiling it in water in a zip-lock bag... to heat up the adhesive. it didn't do anything. Its too bad, it could be a nice thrower with a brighter LED.

MrBaz

Newly Enlightened
I tried boiling it in water in a zip-lock bag... to heat up the adhesive. it didn't do anything. Its too bad, it could be a nice thrower with a brighter LED.

So is it just threaded and loc-tite'd in there? Or is it simply glued in place?

BMF

Enlightened
Are you talking about moon type beam River Rock at Target were on sale for $12.88 ea. years ago? What about the AA light?

kramer5150

Flashaholic
I am not sure. I think its either adhesive or some kind of mechanical swage operation (on a press) with an O-ring gasket to keep out water. Either way its SOLID. I gave up trying, although I admit, I wasn't very determined in my efforts.

These ones here...
dscn9683fs0.jpg

MrBaz

Newly Enlightened
I am not sure. I think its either adhesive or some kind of mechanical swage operation (on a press) with an O-ring gasket to keep out water. Either way its SOLID. I gave up trying, although I admit, I wasn't very determined in my efforts.

These ones here...
dscn9683fs0.jpg
The one on the far right is the one I'm referring to.

BMF

Enlightened
I got both on the right and want to know how to upgrade them too.

garageguy

Newly Enlightened
The heads are only glued on. Heat the head with a hairdryer and then grab onto the head with a rag and the body with another rag and simply unscrew. Once it breaks free it should turn fairly easy. From there it is easy to remove the led, heatsink (thin aluminum disk), and the driver with switch. Now the lens is another story. I'm not sure that anyone has been able to successfully remove it without damage, I could be wrong though. Happy modding.

MrBaz

Newly Enlightened
The heads are only glued on. Heat the head with a hairdryer and then grab onto the head with a rag and the body with another rag and simply unscrew. Once it breaks free it should turn fairly easy. From there it is easy to remove the led, heatsink (thin aluminum disk), and the driver with switch. Now the lens is another story. I'm not sure that anyone has been able to successfully remove it without damage, I could be wrong though. Happy modding.

How hard is it to first break that seal?

garageguy

Newly Enlightened
It's not hard at all once you heat it with a hairdryer. Heat it for about 30 seconds all around the head, then use oven mitts, rags or towel to protect your hands as you unscrew it. If it doesn't unscrew, heat it a bit more. I was surprised by how easy it came apart after heating it a bit.

copperfox

Enlightened
it's a 5mm led, right?

I ask because I have the 2xAA version. The hotspot has a sharp cut-off and zero spill.

kramer5150

Flashaholic

Thats GREAT to know. I'll give them a blast with a hairdryer tonight. A little teflon tape and they should seal right back up too.

these are throwers.. PERIOD. anyone wanting even the most minute bit of flood should look elsewhere. Although the larger one does throw a faint "ring" out to the sides... but thats it. The AA has NO flood at all, and IMHO desperately needs a higher lumen emitter.

They use nichia Jupiter LEDs.... I think Nichia makes 5 and 10mm Jupiter emitters. (dont quote me on that though)

MrBaz

Newly Enlightened
I just took the top off of mine tonight. The hairdryer trick worked pretty good.

Now I need to figure out how to take out the switch and driver part. The PCB just won't budge.

Last edited:

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
would be cool to mod it with another LED and a reflector and put in a glass lens instead of the magnifying one. I like my 2AA river rock but the spotlight beam is no good for walking about at all so I rarely use it.

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
I disassembled an RR 2C when they first came out, and the construction was press-fit. I saw no evidence of Loctite or similar. I couldn't find the remains to refresh my memory, but I vaguely recall using the hydraulic press at work. There is a thread somewhere.

Larry

kramer5150

Flashaholic
I also took the AA apart tonight. the hairdryer trick worked. Clamped it in a bench-vise and vise grip pliers. dang that glue in there STINKS. I doubt its RoHS compliant... pretty toxic:sick2: (speculating)

There is a black plastic funnel inside the head that absorbs any side throwing lumens from the emitter. I took that piece out and it made more flood, as side projecting lumens reflect a little off the shiny aluminum. Its not a lot moreflood, but anything is better than nothing at this point. Its an ugly, ringy kind of flood though so... pure-ists will :green::sick2::mecry:.

Its a very well made light, thats for sure. The threads are cut super clean and the o-ring in the head and lens engage very well to keep out water.

I bet you can replace the aspheric with a nice reflector and glass lens. There are a LOT of wasted Lumens from the emitter that spill onto the sidewalls inside the head.