Everlite EL8 Solar Headlamp

f22shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
i did a search and didn't find anything. i'm not sure how new this headlamp is. i was reading a backpack gear magazine and saw a little blurb about it so i looked it up.
HeadLamp-sm.jpg

it's $50 online
here are the features.
http://www.newlite.com/catpage/headlamp.html
  • Charge your Headlamp with the small solar panel (size is only 2.5 x 4.5 inches)
  • 7 hours of sunlight provides a full charge so the LED light runs all night long
  • Small and lightweight parts, lamp weighs 3 oz and solar panel also weighs 3 oz
  • Comfortable headband strap with snap-in mount and hinged angle adjustment
  • Bright white LED light provides good visibility up to 40 feet distance
  • Sequencing pushbutton switch for various LED operating modes:
    • full brightness up to 12 hours
    • photocell mode turns on LEDs only in darkness
    • half brightness up to 24 hours
    • emergency blinking mode up to 24 hours
  • Charge cell phones, iPods, cameras, etc. by plugging in optional Accessories
i like that it can charge other items but i'm not sure how it's going to get 12vdc..
the photocell feature seems interesting. you can set it and forget it as a camp light and just leave it on.
there is no mention on the capacity of the nimh's inside or even if they are replaceable.
i kind of like the idea of a solar panel but in real life i wouldn't need it. i would have to be trekking for weeks on end and traveling light. otherwise carrying a normal headlamp with spares would be sufficient. in real life i would only need enough power for a weekend of camping and i would never change the batteries during that time.

it's still interesting and i like the different modes(photocell) that make it unique. this headlamp would fit in that "war games" thread i think. unlimited light?:sssh:

Sarratt

Enlightened
If it worked it would be fine.

There are huge discussions about Solar stuff in the other area.

But this is good to ---- thanks for the advice.
I fear this is a simple scam.

you need a//// football field of solar to power a 1 watt for an hour------- I'm ducking.:oops:

hopkins

Enlightened
Clicked on the link and read the confusing advert.
It seems to say that the EL8 runs on NimH batteries and in the lower
paragraph says the EL8 runs on a Li-ion .
So which is it or maybe it has both! Wow! Gee whiz!

Also a 2.5" X 4.5" solar panel may give 25mA into 3.7volt battery pack...

Not sure but those led's in the headlamp look like a very dim variety...old
stuff.

Lee Jimenez

Newly Enlightened
I contacted the company a while back and they said that they were going to be upgrading the EL8 to include a Li-Ion cell phone battery and increasing the solar output to 130 mAh. I bought one of the earlier versions from Amazon along with the cell charger cable and this thing works great!

It puts out plenty of light on the trail and I can charge my cell phone from it (not that I make a lot of calls from the trail, but I have before). It's kinda like having my ole Solio and petzl with me all in one unit. I just strop the little solar panel to my pack and away I go. Plus, I don't have to worry about throwing away spent batteries either. Yeah, I'm turnin "Green". :green:

They also have cables that will charge iPods, GPS's, etc. I'll be getting the upgraded version when it comes out supposedly in May. It's supposed to be a lighter, brighter, long lifer.

I recommend it. :twothumbs

hopkins

Enlightened
thanks for the info Lee. High power LED's can let you see a long distance but
5mm leds are more than ok to see the immediate area in front of a hiker.
Think misjudgement happens from not letting the eyes first adapt to the dark
and too many lumens will prevent dark adaptation.
This solar headlamp looks like a good lightweight solution for hiking.