Is the Pelican 7060 Moddable?

Supernam

Enlightened
I'm thinking about buying a Pelican 7060 for my cousin who is about to graduate the academy in 2 weeks. I know the light is plenty bright, but as a CPF'er, I'm always looking to do better. Has anyone opened up their 7060 to the bare emitter? I would love to shove an R2 in there.

OMNIHUGE

Newly Enlightened
Honestly I don't know if he would want much brighter. This light is on the verge of dare I say it, "too bright" for an leo. I love mine, but making it brighter would really be pushing the limits of maintaining night vision. If I were you I'd make him a red filter lens (since none are available yet).

I think it's a great light, and I would not mod it at the expense of possibly loosing pelican's great warranty.

Sorry I didn't answer your question.

Beastmaster

Enlightened
I'm thinking about buying a Pelican 7060 for my cousin who is about to graduate the academy in 2 weeks. I know the light is plenty bright, but as a CPF'er, I'm always looking to do better. Has anyone opened up their 7060 to the bare emitter? I would love to shove an R2 in there.

I'd leave it. If there was a way to do a high/low would be better for a long term than modding it to be higher.

-Steve

Supernam

Enlightened
Neither of you answered my question! :laughing:

Yes, I know the light is damn bright already. But I just can't keep my hands off of moddable lights. Also, he is issued an SL-20X, and he also has a Novatac 120T. So big power, and small EDC are already covered.

I just want to know if you can take the light apart down to the emitter and whether or not the emitter can be replaced, ie not reflowed onto anything.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
The reflector, as far as I can tell, is press-fit into the aluminum heatsink. I wouldn't be surprised if you damaged the reflector trying to remove it.

Even with the P4 that's in it, the 7060's still a monster for a single-emitter light.

Latest posts